Calling Chrisrolinski - what's your phd about? :)

B

Hi,

Sorry but I noticed on another post that you are doing your phd on animal-related issues. Cool! Tell me more.

Ps. I hope you don't mind me being curious!

C

Hi! I just found this post on the forum by chance! If these was a message function I would message you. Sorry, hope you don't think I am rude. I see you last logged in on 11th June - so you might not even read this!

My PhD looks at exotic animals both living and dead in the eighteenth-century (Britain). Building on ideas like object biographies and eighteenth-century 'it-narratives' or 'novels of circulation' (18th century literary genre giving objects voices) l explore how these exotic animals were constructed as objects or 'things'. I look at ideas like animals as commodities, as political symbols, or as objects of sensory and emotional engagement. I track how the status of these animal objects changed over the long eighteenth-century. I look particularly at early museums and menageries. A lot of my work is concerned with eighteenth-century ideas about what constitutes an 'animal'. Whilst doing my PhD I have become increasingly interested in the cultural history of animal rights - and this has informed my own ideas about animals in the present.

What is your research on? :-)

C

Ah! A forum search reveals that we talked in the past! :-)

Your study of animals in the life sciences(?) is very different from mine!

A

Hi Chrisrolinski

Keep an eye out for a PM function on the forum. It's on its way!