calling research methodology experts

E

hey... right i would really appreciate your opinion on somethign that my supervisor has asked me to do.
She feels that it is feasible to create a questionniare that is targeted from 8year olds until academics. We basically need somethign to find out their perceptions to education and how these perceptions have/will effect career choices.
I feel that we need 3 sets of questionnaires for students before and after university and those in somekind of established careers. My supervisor says that convienience of data is important.. so for example - grabbing a load and giving them out to anyone. I would rather have quality of data and a bit more regulated.. I just think its difficult to do one aimed at such a varied age group. What do you think? aND yes - we have discussed and argued about this - the woman is doing my head in.

W

It is not my areas. Your idea sounds like the right way to do it but a person's perception of education doesn't change drastically through their lifetime does it?

I have believed in the importance of education ever since I can remember and my belief is strongly grounded in my upbringing. I am not certain that this perception has changed much.

E

thats the area that i am looking at.... i am focusing on how the image of computer science on young people effect their educational decisions - therefore leading up to career decisions. Basically looking at the fact that there are a lack of women looking to do a career in computng and how perceptions contribute to it.

thats life i guess... i have done nothing to show my supervisor

W

I am female and in computer science

E

coooooooool
i did my undergrad in comp sci... but because my first supervisor convinced me to stay on... i decided to do a phd on this stuff. I was offered a techy job. AGHR.

V

as a person with first degree in educational and developmental psychology, I would say that children till age of 11-12 could have difficulties to fill in their asnwers without help, i.e. you need one-to-one contact, where you ask them questions and record asnwers yourself. In addition, questions you will ask to childen and somebdoy with univ degree definitely will be diferently formulated. because, if you ask a question that an 8yrs old understands to somebody with BA, they will think you think that they have intelctual development difficulties. either you find a creative approach how to design surveys for all groups so that they understand& can fill them in & dont feel offended OR as you said- need three slightly different questionnaires studying the same phenomenon, just questions are phrased according to the understanding of the group.

E

thnx... i am glad i am not on the wrong track here.

E

totally agree -
i am not prepared to justify something i do not believe in.

E

just needed reassurance that i wasnt talking rubbish....

E

you deffo sound like a research methodology expert mia - its the first justification i have heard for what she has said...
i have to see her today. its driving me insane - i cant look at her without wanting to scream.

E

i think i may have won this argument against my supervisor.

E

what you researching... how bout we collaborate