Can I change PhD supervisor, department & project after 2 months with EPSRC funding?

T

Hi there,

I started a PhD 2 months ago, and have realised very quickly that I made a huge mistake. I hate the project, and I don't get along with my supervisor, I am heading in the completely wrong direction I wanted to take.

The PhD project sounded very good on paper, however once I started many of the perks that were advertised are not actually a reality, and the project itself is not what I thought it would be, my supervisor is completely unhelpful, rude and I have no support from other lab members.

I have considered the possibility of changing project but maintaining the same supervisor, I don't want to do that. I have already identified another project in another department within the same university, which I really really want to do.

Does anyone know if it is possible to change project and department and supervisor? And if so in what kind of timescale this will happen? (For example does this mean starting again in October 2015?)
I am funded by an EPSRC DTP studentship, so I also hope this is transferable?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

T

It's possible but not really welcomed. If I were you, I would discuss with the coordinator of the DTP first and then see what they say and ask how to approach the situation. You can probably just switch over asap. I don't know of anyone who has done this though.