Can I do PhD without Msc?

R

Hi all, I've just got a Degree in Medicine (Medical Doctorate MD) from Damascus University in Syria, which equal GP certificate in England- I think-.
I would like to pursue a PhD in Biomedical sciences, and I'd like to ask if I could do that without doing a Msc in the same field?????
Thanks alot

S

have u got any particular university in mind? or have you narrowed down which area in biomedical sciences you want to do? you can email prospective universities/supervisors, ask them. They should give you clarifications on your qualifications, for example whether or not Supervisor A wants to take on a student with your MD background etc. Good luck.

R

Hey there, Thanks a lot for your response. Actually I do choose some University (USL, Manchester, and Newcastle). And the field of study would be in SCOPE of Biomedicine (precisely Genetics), I ll contact the supervisor in each course, but my question was in the general context. Is that possible to do PhD without Msc?

M

Yes, you can. The main point is to convince the Supervisor that you can do PhD and you don't want him/her to say you "it is good BUT would be better if you could do Masters 1st"

M

Agreed. I am doing a PhD, not in your field of expertise, and my former degree is a B.A (hons). As already said, it really just matters how to convince the prof + company (funding) that you are suitable for pursuing the PhD!

M

Agreed. I am doing a PhD, not in your field of expertise, and my former degree is a B.A (hons). As already said, it really just matters how to convince the prof + company (funding) that you are suitable for pursuing the PhD!

A

Yes.

I know lots of medics who have gone on to PhD without an MSc. However, the ones who have done an MSc/MMed/MRes have found the whole process easier and submitted faster.

A

R

Ok…that is mean an eminent CV, lush with experiences and researches.
Maybe some courses or training in the same field could help… isn't??