Can I work part time during a funded phd?

K

Hi guys, I'm due to start my phd in a matter of weeks, but I read somewhere that you shouldn't be working at all on a funded post.

Could someone please help me out here?

I currently work 14 hours at the weekend which both my supervisor are aware of and haven't mentioned anything about not being allowed to keep my job.

Am I going to cause a problem with my funding later on?

Thanks for any advice!

H

I think T&Cs of stipends do put a cap on number of hours worked outside. I think it's partly for your own protection - e.g. to stop students getting burdened with a ridiculous teaching load or failing to complete on time as they have too many other commitments. You might find it hard to keep up 14 hrs PT work on top of your project in the long run, so just be mindful of that.

D

I am allowed to work up to 20 h per week. In the first year I managed to squeeze a few hours here and there in the evenings and weekends. Since I started my field surveys I barely have enough time to do my laundry or take a shower, so I have worked very little, maybe a couple of weekends since October. I am aware that in the summer I will have to do some work and hopefully earn some money. I think it depends on how intense your phd is, and how well you do with multi-tasking.