Can't finish my thesis - any advice?

Y

Hi all,

I've got a bit of a problem and could do with some advice. I find only other people doing, or have done PhD kow what I'm talking about!

I finished the work on my PhD over a year ago, but left the uni I was in to start a job before handing in a thesis (probably my first mistake).

The original deadline was Oct 09 (4 years after I started) which came and went. I managed to get an extension as there were some extenuating circumstances to do with my dad until Oct 10, this month. I've since learnt the deadline is somewhat flexible according to the head of dept, but they still want it in around now for my supervisor to read and give comments before final submission.

As yet I haven't really got anywhere near enough to hand it. Working full time in an unrelated job, living in another country, and all the things that go along with it haven't left me the time needed to finish this thesis off. I wanted to know what my options are? If I didn't submit would I at least get an MPhil or something like that? Do you think it is worth going for another extension?

I'm on about 50 pages at the minute but the main experimental work which is critical for the thesis isn't written up yet. I've taken 3 weeks of holidays this year from my job to try and write it up as I find it almost impossible over the weekends and in the evening after work. I have no more holidays until next year so realistically I need another 6 months at the least.

Anyway, was hoping for some advice, general words or wisdom or a kick up the ...

J

You need to check university regulations but I am pretty sure that if you don't submit you will get nothing - one what basis could they give you an MPhil? You have to submit to get anything (and don't forget that MPhil is not the only alternative - people (though it is rare) do fail outright).

You need to focus and find the time to do it at weekends and evenings (what do you do with this time) - it's what those of us studying part time do all the time. It is hard but you need to prioritise this otehrwise you won't get there.

C

I know how you feel as I have a similar problem writing my thesis as everything takes so much longer than you think and it's hard to get into it sometimes.  It must be really tough for you to be in a full time job and then to come home to try and work is really difficult to focus. 

As for trying to get an extension - have you a postgrad tutor or will your supervisor speak on your behalf to get the head of dept to agree to an extension.  If you explain your circumstances and propose a realistic timetable of when you'll finish they might be more inclined to grant you an extension. It's in both your interests that you finish but you have to show them that you are nearly there and just need a bit more time. 

I would agree with the last post that if you don't submit if you can't get an extension you might not get anything - I would suggest checking your uni regulations too.  Have you asked your postgrad tutor what your options are?  Maybe you could submit and then get a MPhil if they don't think it's up to PhD standard - e.g. if you haven't got enough results or analysis or maybe you could get major revisions which will give you more time to finish as it would be a shame if you've come this far and not to get anything.

The main thing is to talk to somebody about where you stand and check what your options are.  It's tough but I hope everything works out.  Good luck

(up)

Y

Yeah I've just contacted and person at the uni to find out what is needed for an mphil.

I try to prioritise the work in evenings and weekends but I just never seem to make much progress. I don't want to jeopardise the job I'm doing at moment and it's fairly demanding by itself.

Producing a masters standard thesis up could probably have done in a weeks worth of work with what I already have done, just seems such a let down. It would definitely be better than nothing that's for sure.

E

J have to agree with J.
I don't think that you can get anything if you don't give them something! An MPhil is not something that you get like that. It needs a thesis, shorter than that of a PhD, and a viva (at least at my uni).
You have to make the time to work on your thesis! Weekends and evenings are more than enough for writing it!
I work full-time, I am doing a part-time PhD at an area completely different than the one I am working in, I am living in another country, and, in addition to these, my native language is not English.... I am in my third year now, and I am writing my thesis. I am trying to find time in my day. I work 8-2, and I work on my thesis 3-10! It is very tiring but I want to do it. I want to finish. If you want it too, then you will find time for it!

My hubby is going through exactly the same thing, he should really submit ASAP, but he is so tired from work during the week and is exhausted all weekend. However, I do sometimes think that he *could* get more done if he was more proactive about it. Several strategies you could try.

1) try staying on an hour extra at work a few times a week and doing your PhD work there, at your work desk - this means you don't have the journey home, sit down etc and then have to ramp up to work again (and then realise you can't be bothered).

2) write general chapter outlines, which you can then fill out paragraph by paragraph. yes its not the ideal way to write but at least after a week of spending an hour a day on it (that's only 60 mins!) you will have much more writing done.

I would also say you need to actually finish a report of some kind for the MPhil.

Y

thanks for the comments.

Yeah I never thought of staying at work and doing stuff there, but I really like the idea. In fact I wrote an outline for my thesis at work last week over lunch as I needed to get it done, and come to think of it was for more efficient than I normally am. Will definitely try it out.

I think half the problem is I'm not fully committed to the thesis anymore, and am more doing it not because I want it, but I don't want to be labelled a failure. Also my folks put allot into my education and it'd be nice to have this to show for them, although I already have a good BSc and Masters!

Part of me thinks even if I get the extension it wouldn't make a difference, with the rate of progress at the minute I'd need another year! The thought of it hanging over my for that long is daunting. Will see what the academic tutor says, but in the meantime I'll keep at the things I know I'll need as a bare minimum.

M

My hubby was working full-time, and trying to complete MSc at home and in evenings.
he is the first to admit that he procrastinates....but don't we all!

He used to get try to get extra time in the office - either by going in early, or staying later - to do the work. Because, after the commute home he really did not feel like starting on the thesis.

We also used to spend Saturday mornings in the University library ( or local library) - I was studying too, so that probably helped, but on other days I just used the time to shop whist he put in a concentrated 4 or five hours on his thesis.
Perhaps give that a go ( So you don't use up all your relaxing time and family time!)
M