Can you publish the same paper (80% similarity) at a conference and in a journal?

A

Hi,

I have had a paper accepted for publication at a conference. It is based on part of my PhD work. I was wondering could I redo the paper and submit it to a journal for publication simultaneously? I would change the journal paper so it would not be a carbon copy of the conference paper. The reason for doing this is that my research committee believe journal papers hold more weight that conference papers. I do agree with them but I believe it would benefit me personally to present at this conference also.

Has anyone else had this dilemma and if so what did you do?

A.

D

I would say that a conference paper is much shorter, so you can present part of your results. In the paper publication you include everything, and go in more detail. At least this is what I do, it is not cheating right?

D

I agree with DrJeckyl. A conference paper is more of an extended abstract and whilst it will have been through the organising committee it does not have the depth in content or in the peer review process.

I have had two papers presented at conferences (one from the podium and the other as a poster) that have subsequently had big overlap with papers accepted for publication in journals.