Cancelled Masters - What next?

J

Right I got the dreaded e-mail from uni yesterday, they;re not going to run the course I've been accepted on since novrmber last year.
I'm a chemist and I was going to do an MRes in Adv Material Chemistry at nottingham trent uni. There's a few alternatives at the University of Nottingham but they are mostlty taught MSc's in Nanoscience or Advanced Materials.
I'm doing a masters so I am can do PhD and was aadvised that the more research heavy the better.

Has anyone been in this situation or better yet does anyone know what the departments at UoN are like? Any advice would be great I'm pulling my hair out.

Cheers

H

Most people don't do masters before phds in chemistry. Did you get a low grade for your UG degree?

J

Yeah I got a 2:2 due to medical probelms in my final year, so the only way I'll get funding through any of the research councils for a PhD is to do a masters as a stop gap.

H

That's really annoying for you.

How about this:
http://www.postgraduate.bham.ac.uk/programmes/combined/chemistry/nano-materials-chemistry.shtml

or this:
http://www.findamasters.com/search/showcourse.asp?cour_id=12663

V

Aww that's awful! Bear in mind doing a masters doesn't guarantee a PhD place.

I advice if you really want to do one search for alternatives.

J

I know its not a guarantee but my chances are a hell of a lot better than without one.

The only two alternatives seem to be nanoscience or adv materials at Nottingham University.

V

Only if you are not prepared to move away from Nottingham.

With a 2:2 a taught course which increases your knowledge probably much more than an Mres might be more appealing to PhD supervisors.

J

Moving isn't really an option I just moved back to Nottingham from Manchester in order to do the original course, my accomidation is already sorted for the next year.

I've just been given a conditional offer from Nottingham uni for the MSc in Advanced Materials so I think I'm sorted now, thanks for you advive guys