Car insurance and field trips

H

Hi,

I plan to use my car for occasional field trips for my research (maybe once or twice a year, going away for between 5-14 days). I was just wondering whether this would still fall under the category or personal use, or whether I would need to declare my car for business use (which is more expensive). Under our insurance, personal use includes commuting to your normal place of work, so I don't know if my major field site counts or not. I wouldn't really say I have a normal place of work as I am based at two separate institutions (one of which is split over two different cities), and often just work from home!

I wondered if anyone can give me any advice on this?

R

*Bump*

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to this one - anyone?

L

Hmm... Well I used my car for fieldwork which was a good 2 hour round trip without changing my insurance. I would strongly argue that fieldwork is "our place of work" but then I've worked in the community before where I've used my car to visit patients and had to make sure my insurance covered business use as well. In your case, I think you should be fine. It is our job, after all. And presumably you're driving it to "a place" then leaving it there all day, then driving home again. That's no different to anyone else who uses their car to get to work.

======= Date Modified 20 Jun 2012 16:27:01 =======
Different places (employment and academia) have different rules as to use of a personal vehicle for works or business use.

Where I work currently, you are not allowed to use a personal vehicle for business use. Another vehicle is hired in for you to use whilst you are on works business. Other places are different and it also may be your personal policy might not cover you for your field trips.

You may wish to check with your registrar or finance office to see what the situation is and whether the Uni. might have to cover you with their insurance somehow (even possibly hire a vehicle for you for an extended field trip).

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)