Career Reorientation after a PhD?

R

======= Date Modified 11 53 2010 00:53:05 =======
Hey all.
I did my undergrad and Master in the Science field, and now I am a PhD student in Engineering. I am expected to finish in a year from now.
Before I started this PhD, I loved research. I had experience in Academy and Industry and loved both. My plan was to get this degree and move on towards some R&D position in Industry or post doc.
The reality is that this PhD did not go as well as I planned. My supervisor and I have different point of views, expertise and methods, which made the association very unproductive and "rough". I have virtually no publication now even if I am working on some, as I have been for almost 4 years lol. I have hated this place and position to a new level and have been thinking every week of quitting for the past 2 years. Not healthy I agree but I did not give up and I am still here. Close from the end. My project is also in a pure scientific point of view not amazing at all. Like NOT AT ALL. Fault of 1/ me cause I trusted my supervisor too much from the start, did not question things enough and realized too late 2/ my supervisor cause he still thinks it is so cool.

This leads me to conclude that I am not competitive on the market anymore, especially because I have seen the competition at conferences and what they do. WOW. They don't joke around. I believe that trying to compete with them is a very stupid move. It seems to me I hate research now. I am not considering a post-doc nor anything that could possibly put me in the same type of situation again. Barely considering looking for jobs.

So I want to change cause ideally, we would all love to do what we enjoy right? And also, if I do hate research now, well I HAVE TO CHANGE. Problem is: I have no clue what I enjoy, I just know what I dislike!

I am right now working for both the LSAT and GMAT. They are appealing: I can work in the same field but in a different and non scientific / technical position! I have no clue if I could be a good lawyer though for example, but at the same time I am trying to open as many doors as I can. But the combination of one of these degrees and a PhD would be interesting.

I have been going through my reasoning cause it's very possible I am completely biased right now. I would like to hear what you guys think cause I am sure other people have been through this. Is this type of move deemed to failure? Can it work? Should I give science another chance? If yes how?

Thanks in advance to all of you!

Cheers