carried away by the summer holiday, now I found I am suffering from work lag behind...

Z

======= Date Modified 02 37 2009 09:37:35 =======
I am biting my nails at the moment because by next week I have to finish writing for a chapter, editing a rejected paper and reported to a lecture on what I have done on a research review as a summer RA (a duty my department assigned to every research students during the summer)...For either of them, I haven't done much and right now feel really guilty and frustrated about them because I have to pull myself from the holiday mode in which I had enjoyed so much. Thinking about the bad impression I would have left to the faculty member...I couldn't start the second year of my PhD freshly and in a clean shape, I am becoming more and more anxious.
I have finished my first year quite well with all the course work done and qualified examination passed. I thought I really deserved a good break and holiday which I had done, but then spoiled myself a bit too much and have to suffer from the catching up work...
Bit worried about bad impression I am leaving to my colleagues and supervisor...
Is anyone in a similar situation? The problem for me is I really found difficult to get back to the work especially I haven't done that much reading about it...
How did you handle your holiday and reading so that you won't be left behind of your work?
:-(

L

Hi,

Getting back to work after a break is hard. It’s a bit like tackling a load of washing up – horrible greasy pans, dishes with baked in food etc. Sometimes it can be useful to tell yourself that you’re going to just wash the plates for now. Once you get started though you find you can carry on. Does that make any sense?!

I have also got myself into a situation where I left a bad impression. I think the only way to deal with it is to try and forget about it. Lots of people get themselves into a mess at one time or another. Remember that it will probably appear worse to you than to them. In time people will forget, particularly when you have made up for it by doing better things!

Lou