CASE Studentship: Any experience?

P

Hello!

Im currently enrolled on an ESRC CASE studenthship. I was just curious to see if anyone else is on such a similar funding opportunity and what your experiences are like.

For me, as the project was created by the department, I spend a lot of my time in meetings and actually meeting and greeting other departments interested in our project and conducting literature reviews around the topic. As a result, my PhD seems to be sooo different from other PhDs! Im not complaining as I get very frequent supervision and help each week, but just wondered if this is what other CASE PhD students are doing!

D

Hi there!!!
I'm doing an ESRC collaborative PhD with the DWP, it sounds similar to the CASE studentships except I don't have to attend any DWP functions just present my work periodically as working papers to them. I have 3 supervisors, 2 from uni 1 from DWP. Like you my proposel was drawn up by the uni and I was interviewed for the job of doing it. I have one supervision a month and sometimes it gets complicated keeping 3 of us happy and in agreement. I found it hard to bring myself up to speed in the area of study and constantly feel as though because of that I am 4 months behind, about to upgrade so hopefully it will go well and I'll be back on track!!

H

Mine is EPSRC CASE funded.

It's pretty much the same as any "normal" PhD except I have input from an industrial supervisor and I get to go and visit there whenever I want to collect data. My industrial supervisor does want me to implement some of my work for use at the company though (in my final year).

K

I'm doing a CASE and have so far only met my industry person once. But I will be going there at some point to do some experiments there although I think I can choose and it depends how my experiemnts going. The industry hasn't really had any input yet but I think that's just because I'm in my first year. I'd like to get more input from them though, my academic supervisor is a bit nuts.

R

EPSRC studentship with CASE contribution from the UKAEA. My supervisor works there two days a week. I was going to go there for some time during my PhD but it looks like there isn't much work for me to do actually so my PhD is much the same as any other but I get a contribution to my studentship and obviously keep them abreast of our work. Happy days!