Centering object on MS word

S

I'm trying to attach an object on word but I just can't do it. I've tried centering before and after the object has been inserted to no avail. Anyone has any other ideas?? Thanks.

T

what is the object - a picture, or a table?

Without knowing it is difficult to know what to suggest, but if it is a picture two suggestions are:
- insert the image using 'insert -> picture -> from file' rather than copying and pasting it.
- create a table (just one cell) and insert your picture into that - you can make the lines of the table invisible so that you don't actually see it but it helps to hold the image in place. I have used this technique quite a few times.

Not sure if that solves your problem - good luck, I feel your pain - I am having my own word issues at the moment!!! (might have to post for advice on that later!)

S

It's a pdf. It's already inserted on word, I just need to center it. Thanks for the suggestiong but creating a table is not ideal as I have too many of them to do, but thanks anyway.

What problems you having? Maybe I can help?

T

Thanks Skig, my problem is when I insert a cross-reference into my text (for example to reference a figure or table) Word often inserts a page break. I have a lot of cross-references and the majority are fine but there are quite a number where I have the page break problem. It looks ok on screen but if I go to print preview the breaks all appear - very annoying, and am worried about how I can print my thesis (which I hope to do on Monday or Tuesday) if I can't fix it :-(

Would appreciate any advice.

S

I had a similar problem where I'd already inserted a page break and word inserted a section break all by itself. I originally couldn't delete the section break but finally managed to through using the 'delete' key rather than 'backspace' if that makes sense. Have you tried that?

A

Quote From Skig:

It's a pdf. It's already inserted on word, I just need to center it. Thanks for the suggestiong but creating a table is not ideal as I have too many of them to do, but thanks anyway.

I would manually centre it - you centre a line the same width as your pdf object. Manually position your pdf underneath the line and then delete the line. I am content to wrestle with technology for only so long ;-)

S

Quote From ady:

Quote From Skig:

I would manually centre it - you centre a line the same width as your pdf object. Manually position your pdf underneath the line and then delete the line. I am content to wrestle with technology for only so long ;-)

tell me about it, I've been trying for ages! I like your thinking, simple and easy though, will try it now, thanks :-)

T

Quote From Skig:

I had a similar problem where I'd already inserted a page break and word inserted a section break all by itself. I originally couldn't delete the section break but finally managed to through using the 'delete' key rather than 'backspace' if that makes sense. Have you tried that?

Thanks for that Skig. I found this website which suggests a solution to my page break problem - http://word.tips.net/T001599_Unwanted_Page_Breaks_in_Cross-References.html

Not sure I understand it 100% but will have a go at what it suggests this weekend......fingers crossed it works - at the moment formatting in Word feels like one of the biggest challenges of my entire PhD lol!

S

@Tey61 - I had a v quick look and it just seems to advise you not to add page breaks prior to cross-referencing - it might say more but I've not got the time to read it right now. Good luck!

@Ady - I think your idea worked. I'll try on a few more later. Thank you!