Certified copy - What and where?

H

Hi everyone

I am currently applying to a number of Universities for a place on a research based PhD programme. I am having positive responses to my emails to professors etc.
What I am having problems with is the actual application process. After completing the online applications most Universities want you to send your original degree transcripts or a certified copy. As I am applying to a number of Unis I need certified copies. What are they and where do I get them? Cheers.

M

Certified copies are copies of your degree certificate or transcripts that are stamped (or in sealed stamped envelope) by the universities that awarded the degrees. You'll need to get in touch with your old uni's and request x number of 'certified copies' (they may charge for this).

S

You can also get certified copies made from your own originals by the right kind of solicitor (exact kind escapes me - maybe someone else can remember). They sign it to certify that it is a true legal copy. I've had that done a zillion times.

B

I think the required solicitor sub-type is a notary public.

M

A notary public (but they're not very common in the UK).

You may need to use a notary if your documents are say over 10 years, and the university doens't have your transcripts on record.

S

Of course (slaps head). I guess I've needed them a lot because I am old....

B

Hi, I remember having problems with this when I applied, as because I was also starting a new job, I needed my degree ceritificates to be in two places at once and had no time to get certified copies. As I was going over for an open day, I simply rang up the university and asked them if I could bring the originals with me then. They had no problem with that - and also said that even if I hadn't been attending an open day, I could have brought them to my interview instead.

Basically, my point is that if you're having real trouble getting certificates/certified copies to them within a given deadline, you could always give them a ring and offer to bring them in personally at a later date.