Chances of getting on a PhD

G

Hi I am looking for some advice on my chances of getting a PhD place. I am about to begin an MEd Psychology of Education course and hope upon completion to apply for a PhD.

The dilemma I have is that when I sat my original degree, not in Psychology, I was immature and only achieved a 2:ii. My masters will make me eligible for Graduate Basis of Registration with the British Psychological Society.

I was wondering if anyone could advise me as to what my chances of getting a PhD place would be, or how I might improve my chances. Please note that I know I am highly unlikely to get a funded place and that is not really something that concerns me.

I would also be happy to receive any information on PhD's elsewhere in Europe as that may be an option.

Thank you!

M

Get a distinction in your masters plus a very good dissertation, and this will get you a place on a PhD programme.

I'm not sure that going elsewhere in Europe you'll find lower entry standards.

Even if you get the best grades, this won't guarantee a place for PhD. First of all, I recommend you to start looking at it a bit more positively. It is not "highly unlikely" for you to get a funded place. Funded places are limited, yes, but this doesn't mean you don't have a chance. My first degree was not good either but my Masters degree made up for it... with a good proposal I secured a few funded places to choose from. You can too. Focus on what you want and start working on a good proposal. Good luck (up)