Change of field after PhD

R

Im very interested to hear from both current phds and postdocs on this. I am currently doing a phd in feild x. I dont like working in this field very much and my experience of phd research should be enough to turn anyone off. But im determined that im not going to let this get me down. im just wondering if anyone thinks that doing and mphil in a feild of interest can help gain employment in that field? even if i obtain a phd that is not very applicable to this feild of research. i know it depends on just how far apart the fields but, im a mechanical engineer by backround and the feild i am interested in is a feild of engineering. any thoughts would be much appreciated

O

Perhaps you could consider completion of your PhD before you start thinking about an MPhil in a different field. There really isn't much logic in thinking about it now.

C

Could you finish your PhD as an Mphil and do an MPhil or PHD in the new field? I spoke to an academic before my PhD as wanted to get into immunology and didn't get offered any PhDs. I've ended up in structural Biology. Anyway, he said you could change field if you had a PhD, but you would be at the bottom end of the pay scale. After doing research I would think they would expect some experience