Changing PhD - advice please?

C

I am 10 months into my PhD (started last September) and am not enjoying it. I cannot decide whether to just stick with it or to change to a different topic (different department, different supervisor, possibly different uni) and am getting really stressed and depressed about the whole thing. I know that ultimately I need to decide what I want to do, but any advice would be much appreciated.

I have a good undergraduate degree in one field (physics) plus a significant amount of undergraduate research experience with a very well-respected group. However, I decided against staying with this group for a PhD as I wanted to do something applied. So after a lot of thought I decided to do a PhD in Medical Physics. However, it is becoming clear that my project is very different to how I thought it would be. I thought it would be applying my physics skills and interests to a relevant problem, but it is actually using the tool to investigate medical, physiological processes. It is a good PhD project, with very nice, attentive supervisors, but I just don't have any motivation to do the research as I don't find it interesting. I know that I don't want to work in this field after my PhD, but have received conflicting information about how easy it would be to transfer to another field for a first post doc position.

There have been a number of problems with my project that are on the point of being resolved, which also have had a negative effect on my motivation (I have spent weeks just waiting for access to patients, equipment etc) and have had a very unproductive year (from my point of view, my supervisors are not worried about this). I am very frustrated with being dependent on other people to do experiments, and feel very trapped that I cannot just go in the lab and get on with some experiments. I also know that another reason for my lack of motivation is that I don't have the knowledge and skills necessary to appreciate the project and research, but cannot seem to learn this or read due to lack of interest. I should add that up untill this year, I have been a very keen student with an excellent record, so its not that I am just lazy or not interested in research. More that I am frustrated with sitting about wasting time, coupled with the fact that I am not particularly interested in the research question.

I have found a position advertised at the same uni on the topic I did my masters project on, but it is a tiny group (group leader + 1 student) with no track record of publishing in the field. My current project is in a very well-respected group with great supervisors - I wonder how important is the reputation of the group versus personal interest in the topic.

I have discussed most of these issues at length with my supervisors, and they are being very supportive, but ultimately I have to arrive at a decision. I would really appreciate any advice from people who have been in similar situations.

Thanks very much - Cupcake