Changing PhD Topic

S

Hey Guys
To make it short, after 3 months I decided I want to change my PhD topic. Same department, same supervisor just change the topic of my project. It will involve similar medical tests (This is a clinical PhD) but a different population. Does anyone had any experience if that can happen, and if so, will there be any potential problem with the university? The reason I ask, is that I created this project from scratch and got a grant from a research council with my project. Already talked with the research council and this can be possible, but I'm a bit worried that the university would not let me do this. I need same advice before talking with my supervisor (He will not like the idea of changing topic anyway:-0)

Any comments or similar experiences?

M

In the humanities or social sciences it is possible. I did not only change the topic, but also the focus and locus of the study.

D

My PhD outline was rather broad when I started and once the data collection got underway it was evident which specific route I was going to take. I was able to change the title and define the experimental work in the middle of my PhD. The title change had to be approved by the research degrees committee but to be honest it was more of a clarification.

B

Since your funding is tied to your original individual research project proposal then it could have been difficult to change, if your funding body objected. But since they seem to have agreed in principle I don't see what the problem is. Yes your supervisor probably won't like it, but you're going to have to face up to that. So speak to them sooner rather than later about this. The fact that you've already contacted the research council to sound them out goes in your favour.