Changing Supervisors

G

Thought I would ask as I am still having problems with mine 1 year in. Have spoke to him several times - things get better for a bit and then he goes back to normal. So would like to know whether changing was a positive or negative experience and if it was easy to do. Also if you kept the same project.
Cheers

G

I've been having a similar problem, not with my supervisor but with a postdoc in the lab. I considered quitting but that would have been a waste of my talents. So, how would you go around changing supervisors if that is possible?

G

anon, what problems are you having with your supervisor?

G

Where to start? He treats me very differently to the others in the group and expects me to basically be his slave and do whatever he tells me to do. The others in the group are very much left to their own initiative and he doesnt interfere. Or nag them. I have a lot of experience in research and so the fact I am a first year is a little misleading in terms of my capabilities. I expected the PhD to be a two way discussion process rather than being expected to do what I am told.

I think that a year of this is really getting me down especially as I have spoke to him about it several times and things improve for a short while. He also never provides any positive feedback and my confidence is getting lower all the time. I am not planning to quit. I am planning to have another word with him and if things continue I will initiate proceedings to change. But I need to know if this is generally a positive or negative process. I appreciate it is the last resort and will use it as such. cheers

But I could handle that better if he didn't also expect me to drop whatever I am currently working on (as agreed between us) and immediately begin work on his latest idea. No argument. I work extremely hard putting in more hours and producing more results than the others, yet he still sees the need to have a go at me about how much work i do. Or don't in his eyes. Again, the others don't get this. They agree he treats me very differently but arn't too bothered as long as he leaves them alone.

G

What you describe certainly does sound a bit strange. I know it's probably not an easy thing to do, but since you sound like you're at the end of your tether, maybe you should be as blunt with him as you can be (unless you already have been). Maybe ask him what in particular about you or your work he has an issue with. Are you funded in the same way as the others?

G

Sorry, that's not answered your question I don't think. Have you spoken to whoever is responsible for the welfare/progress of pg students? They should be able to advise you properly.

G

I spoke to the pg advisor in january and he advised changing supervisors straight off which i felt was a bit rash so continued working at my relationship with him.
I am funded very well (luckily)through industry and it is my funding which provides most of the groups money. Do you think that makes a difference?

G

I get the impression sometimes that students who are, say self-funded, they are treated differently to students who are funded by industry, especially if the latter student comes from outside of the EU. I fully realise that this might not always be the case, but where it's more the university's interest that the student is successful in their studies, they might sometimes be treated slightly better than others.

Therefore I'm a bit surprised that in your case, you are funded by industry. I really don't see how it would be in your supervisor's interest to create more obstacles to put in your way, and his behaviour sounds completely unacceptable. Personally, I would set about finding another supervisor.

Not that it would ever be in anyone's interest to make someones life miserable! I just thought that if, maybe you were self-funded unlike everyone else, this might explain why he is treating you badly. Good luck, I hope it works out good for you in the end!

G

Should I expect interaction with my supervisor to be a 2way thing then as the others have suggested he has a problem with that and would prefer it if i just did as i was told. What is the sort of situation i should be expecting? What are your experiences?
Thanks

G

What he should be doing is letting you exercise your initiative! - If not straight away in the way of designing experiments, you should be able to discuss your thoughts and ideas with him without fear of criticism or put-downs. I've had 2 research supervisors; one who I got along with very well, and one who was a complete idiot. The latter one was well-meaning, but it was the general opinion of everyone that he wasn't actually suited to being a research supervisor! His behaviour in fact, was a bit like what you described about your supervisor.

It really is down to luck whether you have a good, bad, or mediocre supervisor. Since you have been in your department for long enough, would you be able at all to choose someone else?

G

there are a couple of acedemics in the department who i know but i am worried that they wouldnt want to take me - you know like a closed ranks kind of thing.

G

Anon, it sounds like you are having the same problem as me. We have a flexible working agreement in our lab, and most of the people start around 10am while I start at 7am. When I leave an hour or so before them I get dirty looks but they don't understand that I have actually been there 3 hours before they even came in! I too have lots of research experience, but feel like I am not getting the credit I deserve.

G

first of all, decide now- hanging on for another year won't help. If you apply for another position you can say that you tried it for 1 year.

Yes, supervisors can be very unfair and have the advantage on their side. On a more positive note, you'll probably find some other PhD position if you look. I know someone who did it (in germany) and her only regret was that she took the first position she could get because she thought she wouldn't find anything.