Changing to long distance?

C

Dear all,
after much thought on my PhD situation, I started to seriously consider finishing my PhD in my home country. Even though I know I will be more "alone" in terms of being away from the University, I believe that I will have more psychological support and be in a better mood to perform research... Has anyone else even thought of that? Or is possible to finish (by that, I mean do the third year and the write up year) abroad?

Another thing that concerns me is that I am funded by the University. If things don't work out, and I just can't go on.... does the University ask for a refund???? I know I didn't sign anything... but I understand that they expect their money to pay off! Any ideas?

C

Oh, just to make something clear.. Of course, I don't expect to be funded anymore if I go abroad :)

S

i don't think you'd normally have to re-pay, only that money which you perhaps received in advance.

i totally understand where you are coming from. it is sometimes soooo hard to be away from the loved ones, those people who will be there for you without hardly having to ask. it very much helps to balance out the low moments and is great to share the good times.
but sometimes i think being "away" helps me to work, because there is nothing to distract me - no other projects or little jobs that i could get involved with and that would be so much more fun than my PhD... and no partner's or family demands on my time. i am here to work, and that's all. also, it is great being here - seeing my supervisor, my colleagues, my new local friends; going to interesting events at our centre. i would miss that if i left.
so overall i don't know. i'm sure it can be done... but either way there are drawbacks.

C

Hi there,
you see though, I haven't actually made any good friends here so there's noone to miss :). Also, part of my problem is exactly that I have nothing else to do.. and all I do is work! My research is my life and I became so obsessed about it, that I can't think clearly anymore!

S

hm yes - that's part of the problem but at the same time it is a little good, isn't it? at least you work a lot and aren't distracted.

i suppose whatever you decide, you will have to think explicitly how you can emphasize the good parts of your situation and deal with the bad parts.
so, if you leave - make sure you have a good arrangement to stay in close contact with your supervisor. make sure you really do see those people you are now missing. but also make sure you don't get distracted from your PhD too much.
if you stay - try to profit as much as possible from the things you have available here. get a lot of work done. find a way to be less socially excluded, do stuff with your colleagues, flatmates, ... maybe there is a community of international students you could join? or some club, association, do some volunteering or get a small job?

S

i personally feel the hardest part of being in a foreign country like this, is trying to keep up with everyone in both countries. i constantly feel i am neglecting someone - or my research. but that wouldn't change if i went back!

the good news for me is that my partner is coming here in a few months. that will make things easier. and sometimes the thought of that is the only thing that stops me from going home, or quitting. it would be pointless to leave, now that he is following me over.

J

alternatively take a few months and go and work from home. about three to six months would get you back on track emotionally - and you'll have the best of both worlds.

S

that sounds like excellent advice to me, jojo! have you considered this before, compSci?