Changing universities in second year...shoudl it be done!?

H

I have just started the second year of my PhD and am having real doubts about my chosen University. I am finding that my department doesn't have the facilities or academics to support me. I am funded by a research council and wondered if anyone had ever transferred from their original university to a new one during their second year? Would it be looked on unfavourably? Should I just get on with it at my current Uni? Help...any help/ guidance would be much appreciated! Thanks

R

ive heard of research groups changing university and any students within would move as well. but ive never heard of an individual student doing it.

Have you talked to your supervisor or department about your situation yet?

first of all, your going to need to get a supervisor and department at another university to agree to take you on( thats a given )

I suppose the big issue would be getting your funding transfered. your new uni would probably ask you to start your PhD from scrach. sounds like it could be messy

O

I changed universities a year and a half into my PhD as my supervisor changed universities, and I thought it was important to continue to work with him ( I am in a non-science PhD however). So I made the switch, and was given "credit for time served" by the new university for the work done at the old university, but did have to alter my approach to the research to suit the requirements of the new university. In the long run it seems to have worked OK.

S

I wanna do that too. I could not get any support from my sup

H

Thanks guys. It's such a difficult situation.. I feel really anxious that i'm not getting the most from my PhD. I have no teaching opportunities either which I feel is important and part of the reason behind wanting to move. I can't imagine my research council would let me transfer at this stage, and I'm sure the funding would stop if I did.

I'm going to look into it so will let you know how it turns out!

I appreciate all your comments though

H

Thanks Olivia,

It's such a stressful time, as I am now trying to write my 'transfer to phd' document!

I still have no news from my funders but they said it looked hopefully. As before, I'll keep you updated

O

Good luck, I hope it turns out well. And good luck with your transfer to PhD. Just focus on the most important thing right now, which is getting a successful transfer to your PhD. After that, then, you can re-focus and decide what next steps make sens. Let us know how it all turns out.