Chats and interviews

M

Hi guys. I have an informat chat or an interview in about two weeks time and was wondering what sort of questions do you guys think the supervisor is going to ask? I have an idea but that idea is not solid yet. I am very nervous and since its a prestegious university.

S

Its easy to get confused - and I know you are already nervous - but an informal chat is still an interview- they will always be assesing what you are doing- key point is to relax
I had 2! informal meetings before my actual interview!
The nice thing is that they are much more relaxed, one on one, and you should try to act yourself - keep in mind its an interview
The only thing you really need to know is why YOU want to do it- what you hope to gain - and try be realistic not say what you think they want to hear - you should know why you wanna do this (even if its not 100% true)

you will find that the supervisor should do the most talking- most scientists do

it'll help if you have an understanding of the field- don't go nuts on the specifics but make sure you have know the field in general it makes it easier to listen to - most supervisors don't want you to quote their papers ad nauseum

enjoy it and be glad you are getting the chance to met them first

Good luck

S

M

Thanks for your reply. I have been told by me lecturers that I can show them the papers they have written so they know that I have bothered to do some background reading and my interest fits in with their. Ofcourse, I am not going to quote their work word for word

S

absolutely - don't get me wrong - show you have done work, but there are ways - like through intelligent conversation - discuss what you want to

Put it this way - if you were in their shoes and an interviewee came in with all their papers with yellow marker all through it - what would it say to you - compared to the guy who walks in and is interested and knows the work and has some discussion points

does that make sense

you can only do what is best for you, and you will know whats best when the day comes - but try relax and try treat it more like two proffesionals having a conversation than you trying to show how much of their work you have read

all supervisors are different and some expect more than others - but at the end of the day the principals are the same