Citing personal communication in your paper

T

Hello all

I understand the technical rules about how to cite personal communication with another academic in a paper. However, are there some informal rules/etiquette to abide by also? I had some email correspondence about how to use a particular tool, and the author of the tool gave me some advice. So I have cited that as personal communication in my paper (due to be submitted for publication shortly). I just wondered though if I should have asked him first whether or not that could be cited?

I'd be grateful if you could answer if you have experience or knowledge of this - not just opinions.

Cheers everyone!

T

If it is just advice then should be acknowledgement, not citation.

Citation would normally be just for unpublished data- e.g. I used this tool as has been used previously in this group successfully (fred.... )

T

Thanks for your reply. Hmmm, I don't think so. I am sorted with the what to write part - it was defo personal communication about a specific aspect of how something works. My question is though - is it ok to go ahead and say that in my paper, or should I ask permission from the individual first.

E

Check with your intended journal, sometimes they need to have permission from the individual in question if you are going to cite something as 'personal communication' (I work for a journal and this is what we do). Of course if it's just general thanks for help and advice, that could just go in an acknowledgements statement and wouldn't need any particular permission.

T

Thank you - good to know. I will check with the individual then out of etiquette I think, even if the journal itself doesn't ask for it. No, it is not general advice or acknowledgement or thanks - it is personal communication!