Citing work from conferences

J

Hi guys,

I went to this conference and made notes. Now am using the notes in my write up. :-) pretty obvious.

Am wondering, how do you cite comments made at conferences? Do you just cite as normal and say so and so said this at this conference?

thanks Bunnies!

S

If you are citing from papers people presented, you have to ask their permission first. Although the work is public, it is not published, and most people woul caveat a conference presentation with "work in progress". If someone cited any of my presentations without formal permission, I would be *very* unhappy.

P

Sleepyhead is exactly right. Although this work is presented at a conference you are not really at liberty to cite from unpublished work. It is quite likely that the author would be more than happy to help you, but definitely contact them to enquire on whether you can use their material in your document - as Sleepyhead said - if you start citing comments on unpublished work you're into a world of hurt :-s :-( :$ :-) (and don't make academics angry, you wouldn't like them when they're angry..)