Clinical nutrition or human nutrition??

Applied for masters and got 2 offers- 1 is human nutrition at university of Ulster and the other is for clinical nutrition in glasgow.
Can anyone tell me which is better?? what are the job oportunities? very confuseed

:$

M

Having done my MSc in Human Nutrition, I can say human nutrition over clinical nutrition because human nutrition covers several aspects of clinical nutrition. If you like clinical nutrition in your human nutrition MSc then you can always choose to do research assignments in it.

Thanks for your advice. Do you think that Human Nutrition would have more biochemistry than the Clinical Nutrition course??
Also, am I right in thinking that Clinical Nutrition is more focused on disease and Human Nutrition is more broad and covers all aspects of nutrition?

M

Hi. If you are new to biochemistry then you will have the chance to attend biochemistry bridging lessons to strenghten your biochemistry knowledge and yes, Human Nutrition does have more biochemistry. Clinical nutrition will have biochemistry too but your right because its primary focus is over-nutrition, under-nutrition, nutritional epidemiology, nutrition and politics. But these are also areas that Human Nutrition covers.

Which university do you wish to study at?

Ok thank you that clears things up. I was worried about the biochemistry aspect as I have never studied it before.

Well, I have received a conditional offer of Clinical Nutrition in Glasgow Caledonian and also London Metropolitan University. I have received an offer for MSc Human Nutrition in Ulster and Human Nutrition and Metabolism in Aberdeen.
However my first choice was MSc Dietetics. My aplication to Dietetics has been declined from a few Universities for not meeting the biochemistry requirements but I am still waiting to hear from London Metropolitan who make their decision next month.

Were you able to find a job soon after you graduated?

M

======= Date Modified 21 Apr 2009 08:30:46 =======
Aberdeen and Glasgow are both good universities but I would think twice about London Metro because it isn't up there with the rest of them. Aberdeen made you a strong offer yet?

I am doing my PhD in Human Nutrition at Aberdeen so I can help you with the Universities

O really? Ok i will bare that in mind.
Yes, just two days ago I got an official letter from Aberdeen, conditionally offering me the MSc. Human Nutrition and Metabolism. Does this course differ much from MSc. Human Nutrition or is it the same thing with a different name?

M

MSc Human Nutrition and Metabolism is the same thing as MSc Human Nutrition and MSc Applied Human Nutrition. 85% of Aberdeen staff is involved in research and in publishing and the place is very friendly.

Are you a male or female?

O Ok good to know. O female, my name is Lisa.
Well thanks to you iv been lookin in to it more and iv found out that the MSc Human Nutrition and Metabolism is accredited by The Nutrition Society and I would be entitled to enter the Register of the Nutrition Society as Associate Nutritionist (ANutr). Presumably this is a good advantage?? The MSc Clinical Nutrition doesnt seem to offer this.

M

Hello Lisa. Yes, entering the Register of the Nutrition Society is a bonus and you would be able to register with Clinical Nutrition too but their advantages won't be worth it and you won't be able to be associate nutritionist then. A wealth of resources will be available to you through Nutrition Society and Human Nutrition and Metabolism MSc because I did Human Nutrition and I am glad I chose it and not Clinical Nutrition.

Hi! Ok so is it that after the MSc you become an associate nutritionist, meaning you get relevent experience for 3 years before becoming a Nutritionist?? I think i read that somewhere.
So you would recomed Aberdeen as a place to study?

M

======= Date Modified 23 Apr 2009 09:31:18 =======
Hi, yes you will get relevant experience after your MSc. When I attended the nutrition conference in London in 2007, they told me that you need MSc to register with them and to become a Associate Nutritionist.

Aberdeen is amazing, I am starting my PhD there from October this year. If you choose to study there, I am sure I will be able to help you with the course work;-)

M

Hi guys. I'm going through the same confusion. I've got places in ucl clinical & public health nutrition. Mac human nutrition & metabolism in Aberdeen. & mac human nutrition in ulster. Could u pls advice on which one 2 go 2. Pleeeeeeese

M

8-)