Computer know-how needed!

T

Sorry for the (probably) rather clueless questions but I don't know much about computers. :$ I currently work on a "big" computer with nice monitor and proper keyboard (I work from home) but we are in the process of changing the study into a nursery and there is nowhere to put it. The possibilities are either:
1) put it in the hall (which has no direct light so isn't really a great place to work
2) use my laptop

My laptop is rather strange and seems to develop lots of annoying habits that I don't know how to fix. :$ Anyway, my question is - can I use a normal keyboard with my laptop (I touch type and I find the laptop keyboard too flat). Can I use a printer with the laptop? Would a wireless be best? Any tips for working when you don't have a workspace that is yours and only yours? Thanks!

stand aside, let the resident computer expert through (stop laughing!)

erm...I think you can use a keyboard, if you have the ports that fit the wire somewhere - 'modern' keyboards use usb anyway I think (?)

If you had your old (big) laptop with the printer and everything linked up, you could print through a network link. - might wake the baby though?

Maybe put the baby in the hall?

D

You can use a wired keyboard that connects to a USB port or a wireless one (both are really cheap). If you have a newish TV and wireless/bluetooth on your laptop you can connect it to the screen of your tv if your stuck.

Yep, your printer should have a USB cable that connects to your laptop. If you have not got a disk for your printer settings on your laptop you can download them on the internet.

Good luck x

thats a good point, you could connect your laptop to your tv - 42" screen would be fab with my eyesight!

T

Thanks! My tv is ancient so that rules that out. My printer has broken so I was thinking that if I could buy a wireless printer then I could just keep it in a cupboard somewhere and use it like that? Would that work?

As for using the hall as a nursery - two cots won't fit otherwise I would be sorely tempted!!

have you thought about a double decker cot system? or just squeeze them in one - top and tail them?

I think you can get bluetooth things for printers

C

Hi Timefortea (great name!)

I do all my work on a laptop, but I've set it up to feel more like a regular computer. I've attached a regular USB keyboard (check to see if your laptop has USB ports before purchasing a USB keyboard). And I have a regular USB mouse connected to the keyboard, since this particular keyboard as USB inputs on it as well. The laptop itself sits on a box at my desk. The box props it up so it is at a height that is inline with my eyes (no more slouching!).

This set up is completely movable, so you could work from the kitchen table or a desk and then put it away in two minutes when you were done, yet it feels like working from a full size computer.

Regarding printers, wireless printing is great, though it can be a pain to configure, depending on your operating system and printer. Could you keep the printer somewhere discrete and then just plug the laptop into it when you needed to print (assuming you don't print more than once or twice a week).

All the best
Coffeedrinker

T

Sneaks - do you mean like this? http://babyology.com.au/furniture/sleeping-pairs.html

8-) I don't think my mother-in-law would be impressed!

Coffee - Thanks - but what do you mean about them being difficult to configure?

D

Hahahahah, the double decker cot is genius!  Mind you hubbys work had to supply a bigger house for us and our babies so it was just as well they didn't know about this lol.

When we first moved we had a small house with no office space so I had the small area under the stairs for my desk which was actually a great set-up for me. The lighting was not the best sorted by a lamp  but it was my domain for all of my papers, niff naff and trivia! I worked on my PC then with everything plugged in around me.  Now in our larger house (thank you babies!) we have an office area in the dining room so our desks are there with.....laptops! Hubby has a mouse via USB and has set his up as the network.  I then have wireless capability for the printer, shared drive/files and of course the internet. It works really well with the exception that I have to turn on his laptop to access the printer wirelessly, a pain if he is away and he wants to take his laptop.  However, the drivers are on my laptop so I can just move over to his desk and plug in!:p Realistically I don't print out that often so it is not a problem.

A question for you to consider.....where would you keep all of your associated stuff (papers etc) if you just use your laptop with no desk?  Would a desk space be useful to store stuff on, opened at key places, be useful? However once babies are on the move a locked cabinet may be the natural choice (For paperwork not babies lol)! You can always move the laptop around if needed.