Conference dinner outfit?

B

I'm off to a conference tomorrow, but what an earth do women generally wear for the conference dinner? I have no idea. The conference is more geared towards teachers rather than academics if that makes a difference. I'm dreading it!

C

Black dress... can't go wrong!

E

At my last conference, at dinner you could see everything! And I mean it!
From formal dresses and suit and tie to jeans and T-Shirts....
Ans it was one of the major international conferences in my field....

A

Agree with Emmaki - you'll see the whole gamut from people who are have gone a bit over the top to those who obviously don't give two hoots and are really casual. Hedge your bets and go for somewhere in-between ;-). If it was really formal you would have been advised.

I tend to wear dark jeans and wear a more glam top - like one with a bit of sparkle or something. I never wear a dress or anything, but then I don't usually anyway. ALthough I sometimes pack something a bit nicer, just in case I walk in and its black tie or something and then I can run back to the hotel room and change quickly

D

Conferences are a great chance to network and I think business wear is best for that. Perhaps a smart top with smart trouser or skirt?

O

Agreed--conference dress can run the gamut from super formal to super casual--all at the same event. I usually try for something slightly up from business casual--a nice skirt and top, but nothing over done. The only time that led me astray was at a conference where everyone else--EVERYONE else was in blue jeans. It was a small conference and I felt hideously out of place, but there was nothing to be done. In the end it turned out to be the best conference I have been at, and the fact of what anyone was wearing became very secondary as we all enjoyed great discussions over dinner and wine and beer!