Conference question-Part 2

A

Hi Guys,

Posted a while back to ask advice over this conference i'm going to next week. Received some very useful tips so thanks guys!

Now another problem- have just found out that my undergraduate supervisor from years ago is attending too! There was a time when I was one of his promising students who 'would be a good candidate for PhD research'. But I did not cope well with the PhD at all- I had to take a two year break (depression, anxiety, you name it) and have only just resumed my studies and taking things slowly. In a sense I feel he probably thinks 'what a failure- how did I ever think she would do well?

My question is- how do I face this guy? What do I say? What do I not say? It's going to be awkward, and for me very, very painful- it really is my worst nightmare. Any thoughts/suggestions would be most welcome. I am so scared!!

B

Angie, I faced a prof a year ago at a conference that I had let down (big time) during my undergrad. He barely remembered. We had a pint together, and then I mentioned it and we had a good laugh. In your case, if the prof is a decent person at all, they'll be happy to see that you're on your feet and running. I'd say say hi, have small talk,and don't bring it up unless he does. Don't avoid him. Just tell him what you're working on. Try to move on. Good luck!

M

If he thought you were a promising student and he's a decent guy then I expect he'll be delighted to find out that you're managing to pursue it after all. You need to view this as a positive experience to show him that he was right and although it's been hard you're managing to make it work! Good luck.

A

i feel so much better after reading your replies. i did not really think about it that way- when you are so busy focusing on yourself you forget to view things from a more realistic perspective. Thanks- I appreciate it x