Confidence

N

Hi all

Following a job interview last week, I was unexpectedly offered a PhD position which I feel really positive about and I think it will provide me with really good experience and be a real challenge. However, I am quite a quiet person and lack confidence and I am worried these attributes are going to 'hold me back'. The thought of doing presentations etc always scares me (although I have done numerous ones throughout my undergraduate and masters degree) and I am not very good at them :-(

Are there any other students who are quite quiet and hate doing presentations etc but have improved these skills during their studies? Do you think this PhD could be an opportunity for me to overcome my fears and actually improve my presentation skills? I also worry I won't be able to do the PhD and the university thinks I am more experienced than I actually am - is this a normal feeling?

Thanks - everyone seems really friendly here :-)

W

Hi there,

It is COMPLETELY normal to feel you have less experience than you need. (Official name is 'imposter syndrome').

To overcome your 'weaknesses' take every chance you get to do a presentation, poster, group talk.
The university may have day courses on presentations, speaking. I have been on some and they are really good, improved my presenting no end.
(On a training day my group were surprised to find I am an introvert because I have learnt how to 'present myself' to others)
Confidence will take time and, although you are quiet, you will find a way to express yourself so you don't appear nervous or shy.

My group reports this year have varied from ok to awful - get feedback from your supervisor and over time you will learn how to do them better (I am still learning but I think I am gradually improving).

Your PhD isn't just research - it is still learning all the other skills to communicate science to your peers. You are not expected to be brilliant at the start, it is another thing you are expected to build on and improve.

Good luck with the PhD

N

Thank you for the advice :-) I hate being so quiet and shy but I am not going to let it effect my choices in life or hold me back. I have decided to accept the PhD offer and hopefully during it I will be able to improve my confidence, presentation and communication skills :-)