Confidentiality

C

Hi,

I am in the second year of my PHD which includes a range of experimental tasks.
I have set up 6 of 8 experiments. The experiments are based on my research and knowledge and it took me a long time to get there.
I am done with the majority of data collection for the first four experiments and am just about to start with the data collection for further two experiments.
My supervisor seems to expect that I hand over the experiments I have set up in order for other students and staff to use for their research, which to me seems related to my project.
I do not mind to hand over everything after I have had the chance to do my own data collection and analysis and at least get started with the write up. However, I feel not comfortable to hand over my experiments at this stage. I am know wondering what the good practice is.

T

Sharing your knowledge I'm afraid. If your supervisor is suggesting it, it's unlikely they are going to run off with your data.

B

I would be cautious about handing over the data until you are satisfied that you have thoroughly analysed and written them up in your thesis and explored the potential of journal publications. You don’t want to be in the position where you are simply handing over your hard-won data for others to publish and get the credit. If you are working collaboratively and getting co-author on papers then fine.