Confused Again!

K

Hi
I am a first year 5 months into my PhD project now.So far I have done extensive background reading, a literature review and identified protocols that i will need to get along.Unfortunately I now feel stuck because most of the techniques I require are new to me. The rest of the guys in my lab have been very helpful so far but I have gotten to a point where I have to see my supervisor to progress because their work is slightly different from what I want to do. I feel that I am a bother to see my supervisor every time I have a trivial question or for a lab demonstration. Besides that I am stressed because I go to the lab everyday just to read and head back home without doing anything substantive towards my study objectives. There is a neighbouring lab where there are experts in my kind of thing and I am considering going to see them but then am not sure my supervisor will approve of it.
Has anyone else in the forum gone through anything close?

R

Hi Kubaff,

After a long battle, the first thing that I learnt is to never think that you are bothering your supervisor. They are there to guide you through your project especially during your initial months. Later on, you will become more independent. Since you are only 5 months into your project, it is very important that you ask for any help. Another thing is you can ask others for help. It's not that you're bound to your super. You have the free will to consult anyone. I don't know if your super will approve you talking to other PIs, but you can surely ask post-docs or 3rd year PhD students for clarification. Trust me it is better to ask than to wait and watch your PhD become a mess. I regret not asking my super for certain things. I was scared and tried to google every question that I had.. It does no one harm by being open with your super.
Good luck!!

K

Thanks alot I will contact him more oftenly