Considering a PhD Helpppp Plz

K

Hi

I am new and in need of advice (sorry about the length BUT i need Help)

I am a recent graduate of 2013, lucky for me found a job fixing and calibrating medical equipment. i have been doing this for 8 months. hhhmm well this is the problem, because I find the work very dull and repetitive. I have looked at the job market and to be honest I am not very impressed.

To make a long story short, I enjoyed being at university (even doe when i was there i said i hated it) and learning new things and solving problems, I know for the future I want an easy life of, taking part in different projects and maybe helping students. I have completed a degree and achieved a first class in electronic and electrical engineering.

I am considering in 17 months (July 2015)to apply for a PhD in electronic engineering, I have seen two that interest me (for sept 2014) the 4 years EPSRC in communications or autonomous robotics.

I don't fully understand what a Phd entails but what i enjoy to do is ,solving problems, practically building projects and thinking, to prepare myself i am going to start teaching myself assembly language and c programming and do little projects at home. Even start my own youtube channel and website and share what i do.

I can not afford a Msc degree but willing to teach myself through projects i do at home.

SHOULD I BOTHER APPLYING FOR A PHD ?????(i am always up for a challenge )

WHAT ARE PhDS IN ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING LIKE ????

How do you improve your chances applying for a EPSRC PhD >??? what can I do???

I know what i want to do in next 5 -8 years .....I want a position were i help students learn about electronics and help them with their projects part time and also do consultancy work in my spare time as i plan to become very good at embedded C and design.......

I crave knowledge ....I want different projects every 6-7 months ......I want to be hands on and help problem solve
i have no interest in management or doing work that is repetitive and DULL

A 9-5 is not doing it for me

WOULD DOING A PhD HELP ME IN ANYWAY IN WHAT I WANT TO BE DOING IN FUTURE .......

Thank You For your time I appriciate any help......as waking up to go to my job is killing me mentally and creatively

T

Quote From Kiwanelectronics:

To make a long story short, I enjoyed being at university (even doe when i was there i said i hated it)

Here is your first issue - how do you know whether you really liked it or hated it? You need to ascertain whether you are looking with rose-tinted glasses.

I know for the future I want an easy life

I don't think anyone, anywhere in the world, ever, has said a PhD is an easy life. A subsequent career in academia is certainly not an easy life.

I don't fully understand what a Phd entails but what i enjoy to do is ,solving problems, practically building projects and thinking, to prepare myself i am going to start teaching myself assembly language and c programming and do little projects at home. Even start my own youtube channel and website and share what i do.

I can not afford a Msc degree but willing to teach myself through projects i do at home.

Yes a PhD includes all of this but also stress, writing, managing your own deadlines, attending seminars, reading, reading and more reading, possibility of horrible colleagues, supervisors, undergraduates...

Hi

I crave knowledge ....I want different projects every 6-7 months ......I want to be hands on and help problem solve
i have no interest in management or doing work that is repetitive and DULL

A 9-5 is not doing it for me

WOULD DOING A PhD HELP ME IN ANYWAY IN WHAT I WANT TO BE DOING IN FUTURE .......

PhDs can be very repetitive, dull and boring at times. I doubt you will be doing different projects every few months. I've repeated some experiments 15 to 20 times...

Research electronics PhDs and see what you think.. good luck!

K

Am i better of just teaching my self embedded c and improve my assmebly langauage skills and start my own consultancy then ....

T

I can't really advise you because I don't know anything about your field...

All I can say is look into and think about whether a PhD is right for you. It's a big commitment - 3 to 4 years of your life and it's not an easy option. You need to consider the reasons for doing a PhD and possible career paths after it

There's alot of issues to cover in your post. Some time ago I did a blog on the subject of a PhD. By all means take a read and if you've any further questions, by all means ask.

If you want a tongue-in-cheek smile, take a look at:

http://www.wearthesis.talktalk.net/phdgame.pdf

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

U

If you have been a good student as it seems to be from your first class degree, a PhD might be the best option for you. Specially so, if you want to avoid monotony of your job and would like to keep in touch with what you have studied. A job in academics is perhaps is one of the very few places where you do not report to a boss on daily basis, do not have to pay client visits, etc. You can also enjoy a lot of freedom in what projects you take up as an academic. If you are brilliant enough you can get to have set up your own technology start-up.

Apart from UK, you may also look for opportunities in USA and Canada. Both countries offer scholarships for good students. I think, if you are able to get admission to any of top 10 universities there, under most of the circumstances you need not worry about finances including your tuition fee and living expenses. Many universities grant admissions for MS leading to PhD as well.

Hope this helps.

S

Hi Kiwanelectronics,

With the greatest respect, I worry greatly when I read/hear stuff like this... mainly because it tells me how doing PhDs are perceived in the outside world and the criteria that some people use to try and determine whether to do one or not.

Firstly, whether you enjoyed university as an undergraduate student, be aware that it is COMPLETELY different to life as a PhD student. You do not get the great long vacations or time to lark about. You do not get any appreciable degree of tutelage or support (though I appreciate that the level of the latter is dependent on your supervisor: mine was a knob, and even a quick peruse of these pages will assure you that I was [am] by no means alone in that position). You will also more than likely get pressurised/exploited by your supervisor to teach and supervise other students, etc., very often unpaid, in the laughable name of "experience".

Secondly, if intellect and a desire for mental stimulation were the main criterion for people who were going to thrive in a PhD studentship, a somewhat different cross-section of people would come out with the degree. And probably, fewer. A lot of people with PhDs are extremely bright, true. But the major attributes required are a huge amount of self-motivation, resilience and a continuing passion for, and love of, one's field in spite of these. That sounds easy, but as TreeofLife said, "PhDs can be very repetitive, dull and boring at times". Thankless and frustrating too.

I would advise you strongly to ask yourself whether, in view of your struggle to motivate yourself to get out of bed to go to your 9-5 job every day, you have the level of commitment that would ensure your continuing interest in your project throughout the years you spend saddled with it. I know a lot of people with PhDs on here would envy you HAVING that job, as the postdoc job market is currently far from rosy as well.

K

Thank you for the information

well what I am considering is in my spare time, build my knowledge up and build more projects in my spare time and write reports for them .........as I am in no hurry and was thinking of pursuing a Phd in mid 2015 .....

If I can build and write a report on 10 projects till then I should be OK

Hopefully this time will help prepare me

but as TreeofLife said, "PhDs can be very repetitive, dull and boring at times".

Lol well I guess I should set my self some goals and see if i can achieve them.....I am a bit overweight and last time I looked at gym it looked repetitive, dull and boring ....

If you have any more information please post .

I would be interested on how I can prepare ....I was looking to buy a Dictonary and start reading some of the journal papers /Phd Student Papers to understand what s going on