Considering quitting, strictly for financial reasons :-(

Y

Hello everyone,

I am currently finishing the first year of my PhD in the UK, in History/Archaeology, and my credit line is at 50 000 CDN at this point. I have two more years to go, so I would probably end up hitting 80k in Canadian Dollars by the end of my doctorate. I am enjoying my studies, and have a great supervisor as well. It's just that on a 24 000 pound salary as a lecturer (assuming I get a position at all), I just feel so miserable because of this debt. My family is also going through enormous problems...

Y

these family issues are directly tied to my programme as well. My Father has been my patron throughout my studies, and we split the costs 50/50 since my undergrad. However, I have to go through him to get my credit line extended each time, as he is my legal guarantor. My Mother and Father are no longer on speaking terms, and the family hates his new girlfriend....I however, can not afford to distance myself from such problems, as it would jeopardize my career. Basically I just feel like I am completely lacking control over my own life these days....40K pounds of debt by the end, and then trying to find a stable career as a History PhD (I did it for the passion, but that love for my field has been impacted by my financial stress). Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks

Y

I should also perhaps mention that I am studying at a well reputed uni, and my CV is quite respectable, although I am still in the process of trying to get my first publications out there. My family and friends are generally supportive of my efforts/commitment, although they more often than not fail to realize the sacrifices such a career entails. It also doesn't help that I come from a background of decent wealth in Vancouver, and have also lived surrounded by wealthy people in Tokyo for 2 years. I am accustomed to the finer things (although I can be cheap as hell if necessary). All in all, I am considering quitting my PhD in order to avoid 30K more debt....what the HELL should I do?!?!?! aaaaaaaaaaaarrrghhhhhh!

Y

One last reply by myself...
I should also elaborate on the level of stress I am experiencing outside of my studies, in case this is directly influencing my decision making abilities. In the last 2 years my parents have seperated, then proceeded to become gradually more hostile...the new gf only exacerbates the tensions. We have lost 3 aunts and 2 uncles, 1 dog, and my Grandmother is also hospitalized at the moment. My immediate family resides in Canada, however I have a lot of extended family here in the UK (as nice as it may sound having relatives around, it can be very annoying trying to cope with the melodrama). I was also used to living in Japan for 2 years, where I was able to enjoy a relative degree of anonymity and 'independence', albeit it not financially. Ok I've said my piece...time for some feedback!! Thanks!

S

yeismeload, that is a difficult situation to be in. your family trouble certainly does not help. one thought here - it sounds like your father is exploiting your financial dependence to buy your loyality. but - is this really an element of your "contract"? or do you just believe it is and are afraid to find out? maybe it would help to have an open conversation about this with him. you could argue that you don't want to take sides in your parents' hostilities, as it is not your business. you want to keep having a good relationship with both your parents and their hostilities should not impinge on this.

S

as for the real question: i was/am in a similar situation. wanting to do that PhD, one year in, but not really able to afford it. well, the PhD comes at costs (financial, but also otherwise). even those who have full scholarships pay a price, as they could be earning much more elsewhere. the question is, what price can you and are you willing to pay for your PhD.
- you could go parttime and find yourself a full-time job. that would solve your financial trouble. the cost would be that it would take you significantly longer to finish the PhD, and you would be very busy.
- you could take a year out, in that year sort out your finances (by working, and/or applying for funding)
- you could continue amassing debt. that might in fact be the "cheapest" way of getting your PhD.

S

myself, i was lucky to get a grant that covers my fees. combining this with part-time work, extending my time schedule, and a chunk of optimism, i can continue. what price are you ready to pay?

in the short term, have you considered applying for hardship funds?

Y

Thanks for the great advice, but I'm afraid my family doesn't work on a very rational level, and trying to have anything resembling a rational conversation is not at all possible these days. I discussed the idea of going part time and working, but my supervisor looked at me like I had three heads and said it was an awful idea (so I quickly dropped that). I may just end up trying to finish in the next 2 years, and try not to worry about the 80k debt....taking a single year off would do nothing. I took two years off after my MSc and tried to make some money in Japan, but I didn't save a penny (living expenses cancel out the relatively decent pay). Anyway, thanks again, I appreciate it....guess I'll just have to bite the bullet for another two years and hope I get a job afterwards,
JS

Y

It's more the fact that I have also done degrees overseas, and paid the respective tuition....my Dad and I have spent about 500k between us so....I am not in any position to do anything (and yes the financial blackmail is often quite explicit, but I am not in any position to even lose a tenth of the support...my uni is just extortionate when it comes to costs). I sometimes just wish I could completely isolate myself from my family, and not have to deal with their crap at all (one reason I went to Japan). Returning to the UK and constantly having to deal with their shit is a major pain/distraction.

Y

Also, knowing that I won't be self-sufficient for many years is a serious source of depression. I look at my supervisor who is 60 plus....takes the damn bus to work, because his wife needs to use their beat up car....always penny pinching at restaurants and being a cheap ass.....I wasn't raised that way, and I have no genuine desire to be a cheapskate for the rest of my life. That is another big issue these days.....not sure I could genuinely be happy having to constantly tighten my belt. That is pretty pathetic when you're 60 years old, to be honest...

Y

although I guess if he's happy enough at the end of the day, that's all that matters right? I've been telling myself that for years, but I've been having trouble with it lately.

S

heya yeismeload, well that's just the point, isn't it - what are you ready to give in order to be an academic. certain creature comforts are not so likely in university careers.
on the other hand, you gain much, too. you have a job that you like, which is a huge luxury if you imagine the contrary, which holds true for most people. you will have stressful times as an academic, but it won't be the kind of stress the "city-types" have.
also, it is not a given that you will be poor. sounds like you are open to travelling. well, after your PhD, get a job somewhere like Switzerland, Dubai, or perhaps even China, and you might pay off that debt within no time at all. PLUS you'd get some distance to your family
what i'm saying is just - the future is not as bleak as that! (that's what i mean when i say it takes a healthy portion of optimism...)

Y

Yeah that's a fair point, I am certainly not the homebody type who is scared to travel. That being said, I went to Japan where one can supposedly earn a good salary and didn't save a dime...so I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened in Dubai or wherever else hehe. Job satisfaction and passion for my career have been the only things keeping me going throughout my academic studies, but at the same time I feel I am surrounded more and more by incredibly materialistic and superficial women. Perhaps it's because I live in a city in the UK which is notorious for golddiggers and essentially 'slappers', as they say....there are plenty of women around, and I've never had much trouble meeting any until I started this PhD...these days it seems very fruitless.

Y

I've actually been asked recently, "what good is your job if you can't buy a big house?" I could also put forth about 2 dozen similar comments I've heard within the last year, but I won't bother because such shallow individuals are beneath my contempt. At the same time, I often wish I had maybe just conformed to the social norm and decided upon a lucrative career, in order that the majority of women might take an interest in me, rather than having to constantly hunt for that niche market of women who are interested in more than a guy's wallet (they exist, but I'd say about 0.5% of the overall pop) heheh

Y

As shallow as that sounds, I'm just fed up having to put in 100x more effort than one of my mates who has a good income...it starts to become very frustrating over time. Then again, most of my profs are married with families, so I guess there is a way! lol