Contacting a top academic

M

I'm in the middle of my first year and trying to develop a good proposal for the end of the year. Although my supervisor is brilliant, he isn't an expert on the actual area of my research. There is an expert in a different university in the country, and she has actually suggested that research in this area be carried out! I really want to contact her or even meet sometime for a little while to discuss some specific ideas.

Has anyone tried 'cold calling' academics before? How did it go? :-)

J

I would suggest you drop them an e-mail outlining your ideas and ask if you can call them or meet them.

I haven't done this but following a submission to a conference one of the top two academics in my field offered to meet me when he was in London recently (he's based in Australia) and has been really helpful and supportive.  I have found that most acedmics are helpful if you are interested in their subject.

Go for it!

K

I've "cold emailed" and found that some people do reply - I wrote to 4 or 5 people, and 4 of them have replied (one just to say that she was too busy, which was understandable!). So it can't hurt to try! Good luck.

I thought this particular one would suit this thread :-) Good luck by the way...

http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=1047

D

Hi guys, I've found this thread really interesting as I was literally wondering about this myself this weekend!
For those that have happened to have emailed the researchers, what kinds of things did they say? I'm really worried about sounding like an idiot :$

D

Hi guys, I've found this thread really interesting as I was literally wondering about this myself this weekend!
For those that have happened to have emailed the researchers, what kinds of things did they say? I'm really worried about sounding like an idiot :$

S

I am doing my PhD in the Southern Hemisphere, but last year I made contact with one of the top academics in my field on the other side of the world to tell her about my work, and say how much her research had inspired me. I felt like such a brown noser at the time, but I just really wanted to make contact with her because our work is very similar, just within different legal frameworks. Anyway, she responded, we kept in contact and now I am about to have a book chapter published in a book she is editing. This would not have happened had I not sent the email, she wouldn't have known I existed.

I'm sure not all senior academics are this friendly (well I know from experience they are sometimes not!), but it is definitely worth making contact to test the water. Just send an email explaining what you are doing. I'm sure if you say something subtly kiss arsey about their work too it won't go a miss. Even senior academics can feel inadequate and appreciate a bit of flattery.

Good luck!