Contacting researchers

A

Hi, I have just started a PhD about a month ago and have a question. How do you approach contacting other researchers and how far do you go? I need to select analytes for my project and my supervisors cannot really help in it (I am sort of joining 2 areas and they have experience in the other). I emailed a Prof at another Uni who has considerable experience in the area. I asked some simple questions on some papers he published and he replied back, and said he would be willing to help further.

I am really tempted to ask him for help/guidance on analyte selection based on his experience. Has anyone been through this? By telling him I will certainly get some much needed support, and good insights. But I am not sure how far you should go with telling others what you are doing.

Any advice?

J

Just ask, I have approached a number of researchers over the past year from around the world - all experienced in my subject area and all have been very helpful, no harm in asking, all they can do is say no!

S

Same here. I'm also at the beginning of my PhD and I contacted quite a few academics. All of them were very helpful, or if they could not personally help much they always recommended that I get in touch with a colleague of theirs. I think the majority of them like it when budding academics contact them and ask about their work, they see it as a compliment.