contribution to knowledge

S

I may be only one of my type who doesn't know at last thesis writing stage of his PhD that how to contribute to existing knowledge.

I think my research is new as the area I have selected is un touched so what else my supervisor need from me in Contribution to Knowledge regard? I am dying of frustration. What is different in ACADEMIC CONTRIBUTION? please help me otherwise I am gonna waste my 3 years...

A

on reflection, my first effort at this was pretty watery. I was told to spell it out, in detail. So for example "this study advances the field of x by...' and then go through what you did. While your particular study is new it must surely be in a particular field so you have added to knowledge in this field. 'This study adds to previous studies of x. Furthermore the approach taken here advances knowledge of 'y'. It's hard to write withough knowing the field but hopefully you get the point. Originally I said my thesis added to my field and my supervisor replied 'how does it add?'. Don't be afraid to add to the field in a number of ways - your overall area, your methodology, your recommendations etc etc. Think how you go through your work experience on a CV. Break down your contribution to knowledge similarly. If you're going with the major, but essentially one untouched area, break this down into smaller bites.

My take on it...

S

Thanks Ady for your reply.

M

My external at the first year transfer review made quite a good point about this. She basically reminded me that the difference between a PhD and a general research project is that a PhD is a 'Doctor of Philosophy'. So it's not like in a generic research post where you mainly work on some sort of practical level, but in a PhD you are also actively engaging with the PHILOSOPHY of research. And so she said I need to make sure that I contribute not just some practical nugget of wisdom with my research, but that I make a clear link to the theory (be that theory in relation to my topic, the methodology I've used etc) and show some sort of extension to that. So I would think about your project not just in terms of the obvious 'facts' you have uncovered, but also how your findings and/or your particular approach are contributing to the bigger theoretical picture in this area.

S

thanks misspiggy you were helpful really