Corrections thread

J

Hey all,

I'm back after a cool three months off after my defending my thesis.. almost 6 months off since submission. I have finally almost recovered from the trauma of defending a thesis against the most arrogant examiner and am now at a point where i can actually look at it again without being traumatised and face up to the corrections i have to do. this thread is for people like me, those who passed with corrections and those who have to resubmit. Let's encourage one another. it's traumatising having to open the thesis again when you'd moved on with life, but hey.. if its to be finished, there is no other way out. For me, this is where i'll come and post my progress, feelings, bitter ones i bet. lol. and where i'll share my joys with you. if you didn't pass outright, it's not the end of the world, only it's tough especially if academia is not your dream. a year locked in it seems like a century. so today i begin a rewrite of the thesis my examiner wants to see. :( i hope one day i'll smile about it. :)

J.

J

my aim is to finish chapter 1 by the end of this month. ch.1 needs more literature in it so there are about 3 mini lit reviews. most of it is referencing and showing awareness of my examiners work. :( my aim today is just to be able to read a paper. a paper a day would be brilliant and to remind myself what my thesis was actually about. lol. finances are not ideal and so are other responsibilities. i hope i can make time for this. because i still want my phd.

J.

D

The sooner you get it finished the sooner you can put it behind you...

Best of luck!

J

thanks Delta! my biggest problem is managing myself and getting back into the swing of things. some days i can do a lot and then do nothing on others. so far i have read a few papers. am yet to write anything.

i've decided to try mytomatoes.com and see if it helps me in managing myself better.

J.

D

I'm the same, although I'm only at the writing up phase. Keep going and just think to yourself the more you get done the more you can put behind you!

G

Hi!. I had viva in January and was given major corrections and 6 months to do them. At the time I just wanted to take an MPhil and leave, but then the next day I was determined to do the corrections and pass the PhD. I got the corrections a couple of days later and have been working on them ever since. Some weeks I've really worked on them, others I just did a couple of hours. Pleased to say that I've nearly done them and I am aiming to finish by Easter! It is a pain having to do corrections, especially while trying to work as well, but my thesis is a lot clearer and I have explained things better, so it will be worth it in the end! 8-)

D

Well done Gingersnaps! Keep going and be proud as you've worked hard.(up)