Corrrections before the viva

T

Hi everyone,

So I've finally been given a date for the viva and I'm ploughing on through re-reading the thesis. It's hard work that's for sure....

Anyway, I can see some things that could be explained a little more clearly/concisely/elegantly and I'm wondering should I go correcting them now and give my viva examiners a copy of my amendments in the viva or do you think this will cheese them off?

For example, I have a written a paragraph which, I feel, lacks clarity. To make it clear I'd have to rearrange it and add in some missing details. Up until this point I've only added the odd reference and corrected punctuation and typos at a rate of roughly one every two pages, how'd they get through the net, eh?!?!

Anybody faced a similar dilemma? Should I sit tight and correct it after the viva? Am I over stepping the mark by making a fairly big change to the thesis pre viva? Where would you draw the line on previva amendments?

All input kindly welcomed.

B

I'd sit tight, lest you cheese them off. This is just my view as someone pre-viva though, so I haven't been in the situation myself. But if I was an examiner I'd rather examine what's been given, than have the rug pulled from under me part-way through.

T

I gave my examiners a list of typos, the list was sent to them via the uni. It meant they knew I had read it and their list was much shorter. I did not re-write any paragraphs. I would agree with bilbo on that one, I would have thought that they would want to examine on what they have been sent, not your alterations. You never know they might not pick up on them!

S

Speaking as someone who has been through the process, I agree with Tt and Bilbo. Don't be tempted to make extra work for yourself. I did exactly what you're suggesting and found a significant portion of one chapter that I thought made no sense whatsoever and consequently I didn't sleep properly for a week before my viva because I was panicking. The examiners made no comment on it at all but picked up on things that I didn't anticipate.

Sort the typos out but leave it at that. Good luck (up)

T

Thanks for the useful input. Glad to see I'm not the only one who has fretted about this. I'll stick with correcting the typos and not do any restructuring prior to the day of judgement. Although like SarahK5275 says, now I've seen said paragraph and noticed that it makes little sense I can't help but worry about it.

After a restless night last night I've decided that my energy would more wisely be spent on re-reading important publications I referenced in the thesis and making sure I know the main points inside out! Although it's finding the time to do that that is the problem...

Here's a quote that sums it up nicely.
"I am definitely going to take a course on time management... just as soon as I can work it into my schedule." - Louis E. Boone

Thanks Louis :)