Cover letter/CV for DPhil: looking for advice.

D

======= Date Modified 02 33 2009 23:33:14 =======
I have only ever done a 'researcher's CV' (1 page max.) and a 'clinical CV' (2 pages with basic academics but focussed on clinical skills and experience in allied health).

Please does anyone know of any good guides (online or otherwise) to producing a CV suitable for application for a DPhil? Likewise for a covering letter?

I know these questions must get asked a lot, but I was also wondering how people explain slightly 'unusual' CVs? I have 2 sets of A-levels due to becoming ill, and whilst my voluntary work continued over that time, the gap is quite obvious. I also have quite a leap between my 6 As at A-level and my degree choice, as it's not one that people would normally do. Do you explain that sort of thing, or ignore it?

Grateful for any advice...

M

I would suggest if you're struggling with writing a cover letter/CV, consult your alumni careers service, or if you have the money, use a professional CV writing service.

With respect to your A levels, I've found it's general practice not to put such qualifications in an academic CV. Your first qualification stated is normally your undergraduate degree. If university admissions want school qualifications, there is normally somewhere on the application form to put them.