Criteria for a PhD

S

I don't really know many people involved professionally in academia so I'm writing to ask your advice on applying for PhD programmes.  My first degree was in Marketing in which I gained a 2:1 and I'm currently studying towards a masters in education with the Open University.
I have some questions if you wouldn't mind answering them:-

I was wondering if my course alongside my degree would help me get onto a PhD course for this year or possibly next year? is it enough for social sciences or do you need a Masters?

Is it possible to do the OU masters degree alongside a research degree?

Do you think pass grades at masters level are a little on the low side for acceptance onto a PhD course? Do you need consistent merits?

Thanks

Steve

W

Hi Steve,

I would not recommend doing the OU masters alongside a research degree. The workload of the two combined is likely to bring your mark down in both and not show what you are capable of.

The pass mark at my DTC from MSc to PhD is 65% in the Masters, and as the OU has a different grade structure to other universities I would push the percentage angle rather than the OUs grade boundaries.

Doing a Masters is good experience for a PhD which is why it is becoming the norm that people now have a masters before PhD study. However, I presume you are working as well as distance learning which also would show maturity and ability to cope with the different work conditions of a PhD.