Cry

F

I'm meant to be working at an exceedingly speedy pace these days, what with having run out of funding and having a sup who is enthusiastic about me finishing.
I set out with a goal of writing analysis of 8 sections of text today (building on some work I've already got but lots of new words too).
I haven't done one yet.
I've been procrastinating and crying all day.
Now I'm writing this public to make myself do it - COME ON! YOU'VE ONLY GOT A FEW DAYS LEFT TO FINISH THIS CHAPTER! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!:-s

B

======= Date Modified 05 Feb 2011 18:55:42 =======
Go go go!

Sorry to hear about the crying though. That's not good. Is there anyone you can talk to face-to-face about how you feel, like family, or friends, or your supervisor, or a uni counsellor? It shouldn't be this awful.

And this is me speaking as someone who barely had a day go by when I didn't contemplate quitting :p

D

Hi Florence, sorry to hear that you have felt emotional about your thesis.  The pressure you are under to complete with funding that has run out is immense so no wonder you are feeling down about this. This added pressure makes you want to progress faster but in fact can have the opposite effect.  Looking at the goal set for today, I would suggest that this was a big goal to accomplish so this itself adds more intensity to your emotions.

I think you need to set yourself a realistic timetable of work to complete. Break this down into smaller achievable chunks.  Hopefully with smaller goals you will be able to achieve these, tick them off the list and add some self esteem back. If you load yourself with too big a goal in a short time frame you risk burning out before you complete the task.  I do think a slower steady pace is much more beneficial than a sporadic but speedy pace.

You can do this, just give yourself time to reflect on how.