CULTURAL TOURISM(topic help please)

S

Hi, I am trying to compose a topic to work on. Could you please help me to give a better advice to make this topic academically strong? My topic would be ," evaluation of cultural tourism in Sangaai with a prospect to promote the area ETC....." please help as how to rephrase this as am really tensed in finding good phrase and research question.

S

hi sali have you posted this before and not received any help. What is Sangaai? is it a place? ok how bout:
1. The feasibility of cultural tourism in eradicating poverty in Sangaai
2. Cultural tourism statistics in Sangaai: reliability and usefulness
3. The impact of crime on cultural tourism in Sangaai
4. Social decline as a result of cultural tourism in Sangaai
5. The proposal for a framework promoting cultural tourism in Sangaai
6. Opportunities for improving cultural tourism in Sangaai
7. An economic review of cultural tourism in Sangaai
8. How cultural tourism can help the farmers in Sangaai
9. Transformation of the hilly land: Cultural tourism in Sangaai
10. the list goes on.........

J

Is this for a PhD or a Master's Dissertation?

At the moment it is far to broad (even for a dissertation) - you need to decide what aspect you are going to focus on and the only way you can do that is by reading more about your topic (and there is plenty of material on cultural and heritage tourism). You also need to keep in mind that cultural tourism is a well researched area and so you need to make sure that you are producing somethign original. If it is for PhD applying existing work to a new location is probbaly not goign to give you enough scope to advance scholoarship (as required to be demonstrated by the Dublin Descriptors / FHEQ).  

What do you mean by cultural tourism? Are you thinking of the traditional (ie high culture) perspective or are you interested in a broader perspective (popular culture)?  Mike Robinson has written some interesting stuff on cultural tourism (he made a comment after I presented at a conference in this area along the lines of "since all travel involves interaction between different people from different places it is by definition 'cultural tourism' ") so you could take a look at his work. What / where is Sangaai?  What type of tourism exists - are you looking at existing provision or touristic potential? You might look at this form a supply side perspective (what exists) or for a demand side perspective (what do people want - does / can Sangaai provide what they want)?  Who are the tourists - actual and potential?

Since tourism is a multi disciplinary subject and can be addressed from many perspectives, you also need to think about where you are grounding your work - is this a social science / geography study, is it management based, and so on. What theoretical perspectives are you going to consider?  Your question as it stands at the moment seems more like a consultancy report than an academic research project.

It seems to me you need to do a lot more reading. At the end of the day (an I write as someone who is just finalising her PhD aims after six months reading) only you can come up with the aims of your research (and four months ago I was told by my supervisors that my proposal was more like a consultancy report than a PhD).

S

Thanks for your help. it was really helpful.