Curious - national standards & statistics in PhDs?

S

Procrastinating a little, here :)

I was just wondering if there was any way to see things like PhD pass/fail rates broken down by university, and whether there was also a support body/union for research students? On talking to fellow research students within my own university, I'm struck by how the experience can differ from department to department. I'm also increasingly stunned by some of the horror stories regarding supervisors that I've read in here and heard from others.

A PhD is such a massive investment of time and money, I'm growing increasingly amazed that there is no official support body for students for when things go wrong, or to ensure that unis are keeping up their end of the bargain. Surely as post-grad fees become more important for universities they should be forced to release figures like these for comparison?

B

I don't know about other research councils, but AHRC publishes submission rate statistics for its award holders. These are spreadsheet lists, by institution, specifying what percentage of award holders had submitted within specific time frames.

See http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/FundedResearch/Pages/ResearchStatistics.aspx

There is no support body/union for research students in the UK. Individual student unions/associations at universities are supposed to take on this role, but at two universities (I started a PhD twice, completed the second time) I found them of little use, and out of touch with PG issues.

S

The fact that there is no support body is genuinely ridiculous. So much time, money and effort, and no protection of any kind? As you say, unions and associations tend not to have much to do with pg issues, and are really geared towards undergrads. I've heard from three people over the past couple of months tolerating situations which would have led to some sort of legal action in the workplace, yet they cannot do anything about it as post-grads due to the political climate within departments. Internal arrangements to deal with such matters are often a joke, too.

I cannot find details of fail rates either. The submission rates are interesting, the AHRC seems to acknowledge that the figures aren't what they would want - but how universities respond to their strictures on this can be somewhat alarming. I know one instance where an overdue AHRC-funded individual was ostracised, shamed and had resources withdrawn until they submitted.

======= Date Modified 05 Aug 2011 20:53:06 =======
I posted this lot on a related thread, so here goes again to save folks having to transfer threads..

I've seen data somewhere and I'll have a dig around. Might be Times Higher Education Supplement. However, for starters, the last year I saw number expected PhD passes for was 2005.

1) 9640 UK domocile passes;
2) 2065 EU (excluding UK) passes;
3) 4070 passes from student outside the EU;
4) 15780 total passes.

(Source - UK Grad PhD Trends 2007)

If the UK domocile passes are compared to the number of births per year, which stands at 722,000 average between 2001 and 2008 (Wikipedia) then you could argue 1.3% of UK domociles can expect to end up with a PhD.

However, given the birthrate previously was lower, then that value may be a little higher. As people take PhDs at different ages, then this makes the value a little fuzzier again. Also, there will be a little 'natural wastage' before people are old enough and in a position to take a PhD, which may push the figure up towards 2%.

The problem is no proper figure exists estimating PhD holders as percentage of population. Sorry about the rough calculation.

Reet, Times Higher Education Supplement article here from 2010 and more recent than the NPC link below (both are interesting reads):

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=412628

Now for the statistics, I knew I'd seen them somewhere. 80% of 2001 starters passed (UK and EU within English Universities) and the below gives a breakdown by University. However, some Universities have not provided full data.

http://www.hefce.ac.uk/pubs/hefce/2010/10_21/

The page may take a little to load mind.