Data collection in first year?

B

I just literally started my PhD and have had an opportunity to visit the country I will conducting field studies in May 2013. I was thinking of killing two bird with one stone i.e conduct a focus group and survey whiles on my holiday. Is this wise? or should I wait and finish 1st year or lit review before doing this. I was only thinking of doing this because it cost a lot of money to travel to this country. my PhD is in humanities.

B

I would definitely do the data collection whilst you have the opportunity to visit the country. I started my PhD in September 2010, and began data collection in February 2011 for various reasons (mainly as I had access to participants which I wouldn't have had at a later stage). However I was able to do this as I had done my Masters in a similar area, and therefore knew the specific topic of my PhD/gaps in previous literature etc.

You may have to put in a bit more work at this stage to ensure you're able to start data generation in May, but it's definitely possible.

B

Thank you very much Button. I think you mean do all write up such lit review by May so that I can do the data collection. correct me if am wrong.

B

I'd definitely have a draft certainly, and ensure that's you know the gaps in literature.