Declare dyslexia or not?

T

Should I inform my examiners in the viva that I'm dyslexic. I'm a little worried, as going by though the thesis there are a lot of errors and typos in the text which are a result of it. I'm thinking it might look like the thesis was not prepared with enough care?

Tiggs

B

Hi, Tigger,
Oh god - I am going to sound so un-PC and uncaring here but...If you are reading through the thesis and picking up on loads of typos, etc then perhaps it wasn't prepared with enough care. Despite your dyslexia you are picking up on these problems so what is to stop you writing and rewriting the thesis until it nolonger has all these typos? I wouldn't tell the examiner that I was dyslexia but then I don't expect any allowances for it as I wouldn't expect a disclaimer at the end of any scientific paper I wrote saying "apologies for the grammar - I am dyslexic".

S

I don't know If I agree with the last comment - its not like you deliberately make mistakes - my understanding of dyslexia is limited but I do know that as a sufferer you are granted more time under examination conditions for normal exams - I don't see why these kind of allowances wouldn't be made under these circumstances.

If my understanding is correct an examiner who has specific points to be made i.e. spelling, will identify each of the mistakes and present you with a list of them - therefore if you need to correct these will be pointed out for you and should be easily corrected. I cna't imagine them saying poor spelling re-correct it all - plus I presume your supervisor will have helped you with the majority.

It is perfectly normal to spot mistakes in grammar and spelling even in final drafts - I wouldn't worry about the occasional one

If you are really worried ask your supervisor for advice and they will tell you whats best to do.

R

That's really what someone needs to hears two days before their viva blueberry

Maybe you should ask your supervisor's opinion tigger, I'm not sure what the best course of action would be!

B

Hi Rosy, how do you know its two days before and not a general question? I cannot see anything in Tigger's posting to indicate that? If I saw that I would have kept my mouth shut as there isn't much you can do two days before. I remember similar before my undergrad viva which was on feline physiology and I suddenly noticed that I had called cats 'cars' almost all the way though the dissertation. If it is two days before then huge apologies from me and I'll keep my foot in my mouth a bit longer and sprain my ankle in the hole I've dug...

J

You should declare your dyslexia to the university, who should make provision for you to have help from their appropriate department. You should also make sure your supervisors know, so they can help you too, and they should be making sure it is acceptable as you go along. I'm not sure how much notice the examining board should, or can, take, simply because it will be going into the public domain when you pass and needs to be of a suitable standard. With the right kind of help you should be able to surmount this problem as long as you tell the right people.

B

Okay - other postings by Tiggs put this posting in context. I hadn't read them as they didn't catch my interest. Huge apologises to Tiggs for any additional worry or upset caused. Ignore me

B

er,... apologies

J

Found you other posts Tiggs, so obviously much of what I put down is not of much use. However if you get someone to read it through if there is time, and they find lots of errors, it might be worth just mentioning it if they comment'.

T

My dyslexia isn't normally a problem, or at least not a major one. The majority of the time the errors are underlined in word and I can correct them. The problem is that if they are not hilighted I have difficulty in spotting them.

I submitted the thesis in August and have read though the thesis countless times since in the latest read though I've identified a few more minor errors most of them are of the 1 letter incorrect variety which I struggle to spot.

My supervisory team knows I'm dyslexic as do the University, my supervisor isn't dyslexic and was part of the extensive revisions my thesis went though during the 15 months I spent refining it.

My concern is that the examiner will take the same view descirbed by blueberry and just think, he's not even read though this. When actually each section as well as the whole were poured over for weeks.

Tiggs

S

I can almost guarantee you that most PhD thesis' look like that - all the ones I've read anyway - I really wouldn't worry you'll be fine!

J

DONT PANIC

after your viva you will be given the chance to make amends to your thesis. Your thesis should be judged on content and what you have written to prove you study.

Minor spelling mistakes are missed most of the time in non dyslexic people.

P.S I am dyslexic too but have several people who will check through anything I write although they know nothing of the content!!

F

I am a first year phd student with dyslexia and dysprxia. I have just been put on 'at risk' of termination. Despite trying to organise support since before my course, I only got it after Christmas and then I had limited access to the support because of placement. I have had to attend meeting after meeting after meeting with my tutors due my lack of structure, organisation and spelling grammar etc. now my placement have said they can not recomend that I continue to next yr dur to organisational issues. The stress has made the situation 100% worse and I am constantly scrapping myself of the floor to face each day. I haven't life at all overthe past year and my peers on the course have little or no respect for me at all. I thought my placement supervisor was being supportive but it seems that this is not the case. It seems to me that they are building a case to get rid of me. I have tried to get representation from disability services and the student union, but both state this is beyond their remitt. There is no financial support available for me and the costs are crippling. However, I am going to try my damnedest to continue! Lol. And grammerly is a fantastic help. I've put the above through it and the difference is amazing!

F

======= Date Modified 22 Jun 2012 15:52:26 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
removed - double post