Depressed Newbie - help me please!

G

I am doing my PhD in history. I'm not funded, and have been pt paying my own fees. It's been hard to study because I'm working full time to pay my fees and rent, etc. I haven't had more than 2 free days to do anything since the May bank holiday.

I seem to be the only pt student in my department. My supervisors aren't sympathetic. I have had some teaching work but one warned me off more because I shouldn't "prostitute myself." The other suggested paying someone to do my interview transcriptions for me - which would cost a couple of grand! They tell me to go to conferences on weekdays and I don't have enough holidays.

I applied for a uni scholarship but I wasn't shortlisted because I'm not continuing or overseas. I have reapplied for AHRC funding and as the results date looms I'm pessimistic and I feel like jacking the whole thing in.

I want a PhD and I think my topic is brilliant (obviously) but I feel like it might just ruin the rest of my life if I have to do it like this.

Is anyone else part time and how do you manage?

G

PS I know I am new and I am very sorry that my first post is such a downer. I just feel very alone in this and I would be so grateful if someone had some advice.

O

I fully symphatise and know how depressing this situation is. Still I wonder why people embark on P/T again and again. In my opinion, part-time studies should be banned. Not only do they last forever, they also put people in situations which are almost impossible to handle and due to the increased length, it's hard to keep yourself motivated.

G

But would you have the people who don't get funding barred from PhD studies? Or do you expect them to somehow do full time on no money?

J

I was for a while - luckily I got some funding eventually. But I know what you mean. I had hardly any time cos even when I was in uni I usually had to supervise undergrads (unpaid) and that took up most of my time. And if you decide to take a few days off to visit family or just have a rest, all you get are people saying "Oh, but don't you wan to use that time to catch up?" Yes, but I also need a rest like everyone else...

Best thing to do is just keep on and on applying for any kind of funding - or at least a part time job on campus so that you're nearer your studies.

O

Of course, money is an issue. But if you can, take a sabbatical year to complete data collection.

J

Gamba, I disagree with O. Stoll. If you really want the PhD you will do it part time. I can give you lots of part-time success stories from our university.

G

O.stoll - I should make it clear I think that my full-time job is away from the university and teaching - sabbatical is not an option in the private sector!

I only got 2 hours a week teaching work for 1 term.

G

juno - I would love to hear the success stories - I have never heard any, since I don't know anyone who's done it.

J

A woman who is now a senior lecturer and a highly successful researcher (has won both UK and international prizes for innovation) started first as a volunteer here, then as a part-timer. She's still under 35 and is bringing in more research funding than most others here. Also a man who had to suddenly take over his family business, so had to make his PhD part time, graduated last year - took 7 years but he got there in the end.

O

Juno, I don't really understand what exactly you disagree with? That P/T studies are extremely difficult and that there are not many success studies as most people give up after years of wasted time and energy?

I don't like the whole concept of P/T studies, simply because it doesn't work very well. Something will definitely suffer. It could take up to 10 years, or your relationsships/social life will suffer or you will decide to quit. I know many people who told me about exactly that. And I don't know anybody who completed without any damage.

Why not take a loan and enrol on a full-time programme? It's certainly more likely to result in completion. And that's a realistic view.

O

7 years of suffering...not sure if that sounds like a desirable route to success!

J

could you take a loan? this is an option i have taken to concentrate on my studies and finish asap full time and then pay it off. to me its a risk worth taking. i had to work for part time my first one and a half years and i was doing my PhD full time. I had supervisory problems and i found the work distracting- so i decided to take a loan for fees and expenses and try and finish as soon as possible. when am done, i will pay it back.

G

Full time would end up meaning a loan of at least £20,000 to cover my fees and living expenses - I'd never pay that back - even and especially if I do become a lecturer!

But you are right, this is not a very sustainable way of life. I have been arguing with my husband because I am so unhappy - and also because we moved here so I could do my course.

I really want this - I did my MA last year full time and whilst I worked full time - and got a distinction. I know I am good, I just can't understand why the system is so unfair.

J

supporting o'stoll, i don't think a part time PhD is as easy as people make it sound. motivation-wise especially. i think part time studies are great at masters level, where it takes two years. more than that is not fulfilling unless the PhD is not your first priority.