dept politics

S

I'm in a bind. I have to make a decision about my research area...my advisors are pressuring me to do it in their area, but I'm not very interested. the problem is I chose this school because my family is here, so i'm stuck here. I feel like I may not make it thru bc profs here put us in the middle. I'm afraid thatno matter how hard I try, so many grades and passing comprehensive exams is subjective so a prof can choose to not pass me[its happened here b4]. so I'm thinkin I should just do what they want me to do, but I'm so sad & depressed...what shud I do?

S

I am also geographically constrained due to family and my topic is quite different from anyone else in the dept. My supervisor asked if I would consider shifting it slightly but I said no - that was not my interest. He believes very much that students must have a topic they are really interested and motivated in (especially since we get so little actual supervision....). How much pressure are you under? Is it that they don't feel confident supervising your preferred area? How big is the gap between your area and theirs? Is there any compromise solution and so you have a project of your own outlined to sell to them enthusiastically? Personally I could not work on someone else's project so I see your problem. Then again, if my supervisor had given me an ultimatum and it was that or nothing, I would have done it.

H

I know thew feeling! Remember that a PhD is essentially an apprenticeship - you are in effect a trainee scientist. The skills you learn doing a PhD are transferable and you can work on what you want once you have your PhD. It may be in your best interests to get the qualification, network like crazy and, once you are "Doc" use those connections to get a job in what interests you the most.
End of the day, what you are doing is like an everyday job (with strange hours and rubbish pay) - sometimes you have to do something nasty to get what you really want.