Diagrams in the social sciences

N

Hello, I have to draw two key diagrams for my thesis. I'm wondering what package would be best to do this on that I might be able to access. Obviously most of the thesis is written in Word 2010 but I've found the diagram tools on there are not satisfactory. I don't need anything terribly complicated, but something a bit better than that I think. I need a funnel diagram and some influences acting on it from the left and right outside of the boxes of the funnel - shown by arrows and text. The funnel diagram on Word was too limited. I wondered if anyone could recommend appropriate software or other hints or tips. I also need to draw a flow diagram. Thanks very much for your help.

======= Date Modified 04 Nov 2012 18:44:32 =======
While I have no experience of Office 2010 in most of the other versions PowerPoint was a lot more flexible than Word for basic graphics - may be worth a try.

H

Another vote for Powerpoint.

N

Thanks for this - I'm definitely going to investigate Powerpoint which should hopefully be easily compatible with the Word document!

C

SmartDraw is quite good. Hope that helps.

H

======= Date Modified 05 Nov 2012 11:51:07 =======

Quote From nearlyfinished:

Thanks for this - I'm definitely going to investigate Powerpoint which should hopefully be easily compatible with the Word document!

When you come to put your diagrams into your Word doc from Powerpoint, experiment with the 'Paste special' option ('Ctrl+Alt+v' or 'Alt+e+s') to find the best way of doing it - some options allow further editing, some are better for rescaling etc.