Did you get onto a postgrad programme with a lower class degree than normally required?

C

Hi
I am a journalist writing a piece for a national newspaper giving advice to graduates who didn't achieve the degree classification they were hoping for. I'm trying to find some examples of people who got a 3rd (or a 2:2 when they needed a 2:1) but still managed to get onto a postgraduate programme.
If anyone is able to help, could they please contact me via the forum admin. It would involve a short phone chat about your experience and what advice you would give to others in the same situation.
Many thanks

J

I did; though I'd need my supervisor's approval if any article would mention my sponsor or university

J

Got a 2.2 (not a 3rd) when it is normally a 2.1.

C

Hi Juno
Thanks. I will ask admin to forward you my email so we can get in contact and have a preliminary chat.
Caroline

J

No problem.

I'm sure there are others on here too - won't mention usernames in case they don't want to get involved, but if you hang around they may log on

G

Quite a few if you red through the old posts. Popular question. Indeed I mention it myself reguarly regarding a pal of mine [Bobo], who recently got accepted with a 2.2 at northern Uni.

R

Hi,
I got a 2.2 and I applied to and was accepted by two universities: Durham and Newcastle. Newcastle even offered me NERC funding despite the 2.2 (though I admit I did have exceptional circumstances).I've chosen to take out a large loan and go to Durham instead as their MSc is by research and that suits me better.
My immediate family are academics and I've worked in university admissions myself and it's actually common for people to get into programs without the required grades as universities look at the whole picture not just your grades.A lot of it comes down to your interview performance and personality.This isn't new however-a top professor at my old uni (York) got a third for his degree!A lot of academics I've known didn't get 2.1 or above for their degree so there's hope for us all.

L

I'll Help, i think its one of the great shames these days, that if recieve a low degree classification, that your degree is next to useless in the world of work, yet it still has some value in the world of academia.

the main problem, seems to be employers, who have more or less put a blanket 2:1 across the board before you can even apply.

this results in people like me, who have very high A-levels, degree from a top university and in a very difficult subject, yet someone with 2 E's at A-level can go on a media studies course at a low university and be eligble for the same position.

I use to blame employers for being so narrow minded, but speaking to friends and contacts in recruitment/HR departments, its seems the problem is that with so many graduates about they need some criteria to just reduce the volume of applications they recieve.

i'll send you an email caroline

P

I have a 2.2 degree.

I successfully completed two MSc courses, both which required 2.1s and were at very good unis (UCL).

I'm currently on an ESRC funded PhD at a good university (top 30 in terms of uni league tables). Its really unusual for a person with a 2.2 to get funding and a position for a PhD without a 2.1 or first. I was able to prove my ability through my previous experience, my publications and my 2 MScs degrees

C

Thanks, guys! I will send you my email via admin.
Caroline

G

'a top professor at my old uni (York) got a third for his degree.'

Yes but that was when 3rd were worth something [1985]. In the present climate, I would imagine the intake of current lecturers will all have something considerably in excess of a 3rd. Not meant to offend anyone, if you have a 3rd.

L

very true, golf pro, i achieved my 3rd a fair few years back, im pretty sure aswell as the instituion they look at the age of your degree (if they dont, they should!).

which is another problem for employers aswell and for graduates, in that as every year passes and degrees/A levels get given out like candy, it is devaluing the hard work a lot of us put in many years ago.

G

Very true indeed. A 3rd in the mid 1990's must be woth a 2.1/2 now. I mean 58% of people get a 2.1. How does that work.

R

"In the present climate, I would imagine the intake of current lecturers will all have something considerably in excess of a 3rd."

Depends what you mean by considerably in excess. I was working in a red brick university last summer and someone with a 2.2 degree got a lectureship over someone who had 1st class at undergrad level! However the 2.2 candidate had completed a PGCE for Higher Education via distance learning,which a few years ago wasn't at all important but now universities really like to see Higher PGCE's.When I asked the Dept. Head about it he said that once you've got your phD all that's important is your research, publications, teaching experience and most of all your personality!
Not fair is it? We might as well just have pass or fail for our BSc's/BA's.

G

Problem is when 2 candidates have both got a PhD, and similar experience then they start playing the countback game [I suppose].

As an aside I'd be well cheesed off by someone teaching me with just a 2.2 [and thats all?]. They must have had substantial work experience surely?