Different page setups/Inserting page numbers

A

I have a related question :-) to Delta's orientation query although maybe I need to get a grip and stop being so antsy about things!!

I too have a couple of landscape pages inserted in my thesis. My department regulations state that page numbers be at the bottom-middle of a page. As a result the page numbers of the landscape pages appear in the thesis up the side of the page, albeit in the middle. Still with me?!? All I could think to remedy this was to insert a text box with the relevant page number in the required spot on the page, only problem was the actual numberis facing the wrong way :-(

Anybody got any ideas of how better to go about this? (turkey)

C

======= Date Modified 25 Jul 2011 20:15:07 =======
Hi Ady,

You could insert your image/ chart on the portrait page, insert the page number as normal, and then rotate the image/ chart by clicking on it and then using the rotate/ flip function from your page layout toolbar. In this way you can adapt the image to the page orientation without moving your page number.
I hope it's clear! I have vista, but you should have the rotate/ flip function also in window.

D

When you add the text box you should be able to specify which way the text reads. I did this for a graph and had to change the text orientation. When you put the text box onto the page, there should be an option on the top left called 'text direction' and keep clicking on this until the curser is in the right place.

A

======= Date Modified 25 Jul 2011 20:18:10 =======
Thanks Corinne, I'll give that a try. I don't have Vista but I was thinking of opening my thesis on my daughter's laptop as she has Vista; I think I can do a 'manual' table of contents with Vista. Hopefully I can do that as well as those pesky landscape page numbers.

Good luck with your viva(up)

Edit: just see your reply Dunni, thanks - surely between those two options I can get it looking the way I want:$

C

Thanks Ady,

Only four days to go now. I start to have nightmares!

I am sure that you will manage the formatting fine. It's incredible how many skills you learn by the end of your PhD!

A

Note to self: update CV with new word skills:p

I managed to do it both ways Corinne and Dunni, thanks a mil :-)

D

Hey Corinne you will be fine! As long as you have re-read your thesis to remind yourself of those fun-filled few years working on it followed by a few practice viva Qs, you can do this. Just keep your nerves in check and try to stay calm (no point suggesting you relax, lol). We are all behind you and looking forward to hearing how it goes (up)

C

======= Date Modified 25 Jul 2011 20:51:16 =======
Thanks Dunni,

I try to stay positive. I re-re-read introduction and conclusion today, and I am going through some possible tough question now.

However it goes I feel lucky, because I met so many great people here, who gave me great advice, and you and Ady are at the top of the list. I learnt a lot from you!

I will let you know how it goes!

K

Hmmm, I also have this problem and my solution is to pretend that if I don't look at those pages then the problem will go away. On a practical note, I will try out your hints and tips when I get a chance! Best, KB